cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving a "license violation" error with "trialware"

James73
Level 2
I have licensed version of Symantec Backup Exec 11d installed on one server, and I am trying back up data from another server, so I installed the trialware version of Remote Agent on this other server, but when I try to back data up I get the following error message:

Backup- (my server name)
Is the error because I'm mixing trialware and licensed software? Is there any other way for me to test the remote agent on this server without buying a license?
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
For ServerOS machines, you must install the BackupExec remote service on the machine AND you must enter a RAWS serial on the media server

Sounds like your production media server recognizes that the RAWS is installed (you'd get a different error otherwise) but doesn't have a RAWS serial installed

As far as testing the RAWS, you would need a media server also in DEMO mode

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 08-13-200701:30 PM

James73
Level 2
Okay, so to make sure I understand the issue -- the problem is that my media server (which has been running for awhile now and never needed to use RAWS before) is missing a license to recognize remote agent running on a foreign server, so the only way to really test this is to install the trialware version on my media server and then see if the license violation goes away? If this is so, is there any way to do it without destroying all my settings, jobs, etc.?

On a related note, if I do get a remote access license for my media server, does that mean it can access remote agent on any machine (or any remote share it has access to) and not just the one I'm testing with now? In other words, do I need just one license for the media server and that's it?

James

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
my media server (which has been running for awhile now and never needed to use RAWS before)

Not quite sure how you managed that  - BackupExec has required a RAWS serial to connect to a remote server since v9.0

but yes, if you have no RAWS serial installed, you cannot backup remote serverOS machines, even if the RAWS service is installed an running.   DesktopOS machines need the RemoteAgent for full backups, but you do NOT need a RAWS serial installed on the media server to connect

In other words, do I need just one license for the media server and that's it?

RAWS is one serial per remote machine to be backed up (you can purchase multi-packs IIRC at a slightly lower cost per)

James73
Level 2
Perhaps I wasn't clear -- I never used the remote agent services before -- I've always backed up locally up until this point. I just didn't understand that just installing the remote agent trialware wouldn't work by itself, since the licensing is not enforced by the remote agent, it's enforced by what is installed on the media server.

So in order to complete this test, I will need to deinstall the current licensed media server software, and then install the trial ware on the media server that includes a trialware RAWS license. I wish there was some way to save the settings but I would rather be sure it will work before I purchase anything.

Thank you also for answering the second question.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I wish there was some way to save the settings but I would rather be sure it will work before I purchase anything