cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent License

dbaish
Level 4
I'm wondering if I need a remote agent license for a server that has Backup Exec 11d installed on it and is acting as a media server?  The server is a NAS that backs up data from its HD onto tape.

I'm not getting any error messages in the job log saying that I need a license for it, but I ran the license utility that I found in one of the threads in this forum (https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=115&message.id=13807&query.id=31778#M13807).  The utility basically told me that I should have a remote agent license for that server, which I couldn't understand because I'm not backing up anything remotely from another server.  I'm only backing up data that is already on the NAS (the box that is acting as the media server and that has 11d installed on it).  Can anyone shed some light on this?  Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Since v9.0, ALL backups are done via the "remote agent" whether local or remote resources

If you installed BackupExec on the NAS, and it is acting as the media server, then part of the install was a local "remote agent"

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 12-27-2007 01:12 PM

dbaish
Level 4
Fair enough, but then why would the license assessment tool say that I need to buy a remote agent license for that server when it should already be there?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Can't say

But there have been some other reported gotchas with the LAT.  

(It is after all v1.0 Smiley Very Happy)

David_Bond
Level 5
Yep, it doesnt really work well, kind of like the software its assessing :p

It reports that I need to buy some agents for my servers, this is because it says i dont use my active directory agents, and that to backup the domain controllers I should get some remote agents for it.

So either Backup exec isnt working by not backing up my active directory, therefore not using the AD agents, or the assessment tool isnt working, either way, one of then doesnt work :)