cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent Loses connection

Niall_Davis_2
Level 4
Hi,

I Have a windows 2000 server SP4 running BE10d and a WIndows 2000 server SP4 running Exchange 2000 and the BE exchange agent.
No matter what job I create, it allways fails somewhere along the backup process saying:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34040

I have checked out this article and followed any procedures that apply and still no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
15 REPLIES 15

Ryan_Jacksland
Level 4
I was wondering if you were able to break the job down into smaller backups to see exactly where the job is failing. If there is one spot that the job fails would be better to try and diagnose.

Thanks

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Are you using the advanced open file option for backups?

Please ensure that the remote agent service is running under Lokal System account on media server as well as the remote server.

Also enable the restrict anonymous support on both the machines with the help of the following dokument:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618

Restart all the backup exec services on both the servers after having made the changes.

Please download the tcpview utility from the following URL:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html

Run it on both the machines to ensure that the beremote.exe is listening to port 10000.

Do keep us updated on the issue!

Regards.

asma.

Niall_Davis_2
Level 4
I have broken it down as far as removing everything from the selection list except the folder level backup - the job still fails at different parts with the usual error.
Do you think I need to try just a few mailboxes? as the error seems to occur anywhere in the job I didn't see any point?

Thanks for your reply.

Niall.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Niall,

Under what account is the Remote agent service running? It should alwya run under LSA.

Did you run the TCP Utility?

Niall_Davis_2
Level 4
Hi Asma,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried your suggestions - but there is no change.

We do not use the Advanced open file option, the Port is 10000, I have set the restrict anonymous access" on both servers to 1 and both remote agents are using "the local system account.

Any other ideas? I haven't had a good exchange backup for over a week now and am starting to sweat.

Thanks again for your help.

Niall.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Is the backup of information store successful?

Is it that you get the error only during backup of large chunk of any type of data or is ist just the mailbox backup?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Remote Agent on the exchange server.

Alternative local installation method for the Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS) and the Advanced Open File Option (AOFO)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/270066

Are both the servers on the same subnet?

How many NICs does each server?

Is NIC Teaming enabled on any of the server?

Is there a firewall between the exchange and media server?

Regards,
Padmaja

Niall_Davis_2
Level 4
Thanks Padmaja,

OK, There is no Firewall between the servers, the servers are on the same subnet and each server has only 1 NIC and therefore not teamed.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the agent, although I have not tried your suggestion of 270066 - I will review this now and implement if possible and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Niall.

Niall_Davis_2
Level 4
Sorry Padmaja, forgot to comment about the information store!

OK, just to elaborate - there are three jobs using two selection lists. The two jobs that use the same selection list are Monday to Thursday Differential and Friday Full. These two jobs backup to a tape drive and backup all servers including the exchange server, but only the Information Store, no folder level - the job fails on the Exchange server with the usual error. The other job is a backup-to-disk job and that only backups the exchange folder level on the exchange server - this job also fails with the usual error.
Both jobs seem to fail at different elapsed time and different byte count each time.

Hope that is enough for you?

Thanks again,

Niall.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
hello,

Try setting any available network adapter under Network and firewall tab of the backup.

Also check if the remote agent service is running under LSA!

Regards,
Ashutosh

Niall_Davis_2
Level 4
Hi Ashutosh,

I have already ensured that the agent is runder the LSA account - see above.

I have checked that the network / firewall setting is set to "any available".

I noticed the enable media server and remote agent "enable dynamic port range - 1024 - 65535" and I have enable both these to test.

I will be reinstalling the agent again as per the previous post if this doesn't work.

Thanks,

Niall.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Also try adding the BE server anme and IP address in the host file of the remote server and vice versa.

Thank you,

Niall_Davis_2
Level 4
OK Deepali,

I will do this although we have no problems with name resolution via DNS on either host!

Thanks,

Niall.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Could you update us on the issue.?

Regards,
Padmaja

Niall_Davis_2
Level 4
SP2 for 10d appears to have rectified this!

Niall.

Niall_Davis_2
Level 4
Service Pack 2 for 10d as fixed this problem.