cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent Question

Ray_Chiang_2
Level 3
I have 2 media servers(Svr1 and svr2) which have BE 9.1. On Svr1 BE 9.1 console, I use tools -> Serial numbers and installation option for installing remote agent on server3. Can I use Svr2 to do remote backup of server3?
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Unless Veritas has changed their licensing scheme recently, yes you may.

As long as you have purchased a RAWS serial and installed the agent on a non-media server, any media server can back that remote machine up.

reyesl
Not applicable
I just received 3 new Remote Agent CAL's for v10
I am running v9.1 and when trying to enter the serial #'s I get a invalid serial # msg.

Unfortunately I did not notice until after I opened them that they were labeled as v10.

Are these new CAL's not backwards compatible with v9.1?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

No you will not be able to backup using Svr2 as the license has been added on Svr1.

===

Also note that Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 license are not compatible with each other.
Please contact our Sales department for the smae.

http://www.veritas.com/contactus/ContactUsHome.jhtml

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Ray_Chiang_2
Level 3
If I have license on both servers(svr1 & svr2), can I do it?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Ray,

It seems a bit confusing what you have mentioned above regarding the versions of your 2 media servers and the version of the remote agent.
As i have understood it, you have installed 9.1 on 2 servers which are now thus the media servers. You have additionally received 10.0 remote agent licenses. However if you install the 10.0 RAWS license, you will not be able to back up the remote server from a 9.1 media server. Either you need to install 10.0 on the media servers and 10.0 RAWS on remote servers or 9.1 remote agent licenses on the remote servers with 9.1 as media server.
This is because the technology used for backup in 10.0 is different from the one used in 9x.
In case you need the appropriate licenses, as mentioned earlier, you can contact our sales team. In case you have further doubts or clarifications on the above explanation, please write back to us at the forum.

Hope this answers you query. In case we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Ray_Chiang_2
Level 3
No. It's BE9.1 agent.
Svr 3 was installed remote agent through Media server (Svr 1). Can I use the other media server(Svr 2) to remote backup for Svr 3? It's because agent of Svr 3 is not through Svr 2 installation.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

You can backup from server1 and server2 remote server3
Since you have 2 remote agent licenses please do the following steps:

1. from the first server please do push install and put the license number
2. On the second server activate the 2nd remote agent license number.

Please update us the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ray_Chiang_2
Level 3
Thanks