cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent server fail during backup

ESabo
Level 6
After having a lot of success for a while, now once again backups over remote agents are failing once again.     Does anyone have any suggestions?      Have a call into Symantec support but have gotten no where with them.

Change the NDMP in the service file to 12,000
Change the port setting to 40,000 and 60,000 on the media server

I just don't understand why once the remote agent loses connection to the media server, the backup continues without a byte count and won't actually fail until 20-25 minutes later.

Why can't the remote agent have some fault tolerance built into it.

thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

sfmarkh
Level 3
If you ever find out a solution - I would appreciate it if you would post it.  We have the same problem and I can't figure it out.  Thanks
SFMARK

ESabo
Level 6
Well after calling back into symantec.   I thought they escalated my call to second level support but it turns out they did not.   They are going to.   Hopefully I will get a callback soon.

I just don't understand how this remote agent works.    There has to be some more fault tolerance built into it.   

Does anyone know if the remote agent has fault tolerance?   If the remote agent losses connectivity does it just put it into a fail state or can the backup job continue.

ESabo
Level 6
After about two months, symantec support discovered that the remote agent is reverting back to port 10,000 even though we have the NDMP (in the services file) to 12,000.    

At this point, it does not look like Symantec has any answers on why this is happening.   

I will keep everyone posted if there is a major break through.    

I wonder if BackupExec 12 would be the way to go at this point. 

ESabo
Level 6
Symantec support just informed me that BE 12 will not help because the remote agents weren't improve in the newer version.     I also learned that the remote agents do not have any fault tolerance in them.  Which I find amazing?

ESabo
Level 6
Still with symantec support, still no progress yet to report.

ESabo
Level 6
Can anyone give me anything, Symantec support took logs from me and only to say the debugging logs showed the remote agent failed.      Which is amazing now, we need more logs.    I just wished they could fix the problem with the remote agents.