cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Backup taking FAR too long!

Chris_Buston
Level 2
Hi, hope someone can help me with this. We have a Backup Exec 10d Media Server, with backs up itself along with another 8 or so remote servers (these servers are in the same room). One of these servers has suddenly started taking FOREVER to back up. It would normally take 1 hour to backup 30gb, its now taking like 9 or so hours to backup 5gb, at which point I have to cancel the backup due to users logging on! Ping tests etc reveal no connection problems, and the users have reported no problems with connections/speed when using this server.

I haven't had a good backup now for a week, so I'm very concerned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Chris_Buston
Level 2
Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is being backed up by an Sony AIT3 external autoloader. I have also tried backing this server up from a different media server with a different device, and got the same results. I've also re-installed the remote agent. I could understand if the server was running badly, but its running fine !

Cheers

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What happens if you copy a large block of data from this problem server to the media server? fast or slow?

Double check that someone has not enabled AUTONEGOTIATE on the NIC on the problem se4rver. Hardset both ends of each pipe to whatever is appropriate for your network

Chris_Buston
Level 2
Hi Ken, thanks for the reply.

Its fixed now, turns out one of the ports on the switch which the server was using had been set to run at 100mbps instead of 1000, so throughput was only running at 200mbps. Users could only connect at 100 anyway, so thats why they hadn't complained.

We completed a network cabinet rewire at the weekend, so I might have guessed it was something to do with that!

Thanks anyway...