cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Restore - Unable to connect to drive

Brian_Brochu
Level 3
I am trying to restore a Windows Server 2003 server with Veritas Backup Exec 9.1. The server to be restored is in "Workgroup". I have my tape autoloader and Veritas Backup Exec on another Windows 2003 server in the primary domain (together on the same machine). The server to be restored has basic Windows 2003 Standard SP 1 loaded to it. I used my USB thumb drive to copy the RANT32 folder and paste it to the server needing to be restored. I installed the remote agent and it is showing that it is started in the services page. I have ensured that the back up user account is created on the server to be restored, with the correct password. I rebooted and placed the server to be restored into "Directory Services Recovery Mode" because it will be receiving "Active Directory". It will be one of two servers running "Active Directory". It doesn't have "Active Directory" right now but the restore will put it back on. I recreated the original drive partitions with the original partition names and drive letters. HERE IS THE PROBLEM: It keeps coming back saying that it cannot connect to one of the drives. What am I missing? !
3 REPLIES 3

Brian_Brochu
Level 3
I made one misstatement: The server to be restored has Windows Server 2003 Standard, but not with SP 1.

Brian_Brochu
Level 3
I have established that the credentials of the user permissions set to Veritas Backup Exec are sufficient permissions. I have installed all the updates to the target server. It is now running SP 1 too. I have been booting the target server into Directory Services Restore Mode. However, I am getting an error in the job log saying that the restore failed because it is NOT in Directory Services Restore Mode. Any suggestions on why it is saying it is not in Directory Services Restore Mode?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Directory Service Restore Mode comes handy when a need to restore Active Directory on a server which has a copy of an online active directory running is required. In cases where the user forgets the password for the user account specified for the Directory Services Restore mode the password can be reset. A member of the Domain Administrators group sets the DSRM administrator password during the promotion process for the domain controller. One can use Ntdsutil.exe to reset this password for the server on which you are working, or for another domain controller in the domain.

To Reset the DSRM Administrator Password for windows 2000:
Note :Service Pack 2 at least should be installed to reset the password for the Directory Services Mode.
After you have installed the Service pack, you can use the Setpwd.exe tool (located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder) to replace the null password with a strong password.
To do this:
1.At a command prompt, change to the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
2.Type setpwd , and then press ENTER. Note that adding the server name is optional. This parameter is used only when you change this specific password on a remote domain controller.
3.A prompt "Please type the password for DS Restore Mode Administrator Account:" will appear.
4. Type the new password that to use. In case of make a mistake, run setpwd again.
Note :
In order to reset the password of the Domain Controller on the local machine without the server name Type setpwd
To Reset the DSRM Administrator Password for windows 2003:
1. Click, Start, click Run, type ntdsutil, and then click OK.
2. At the Ntdsutil command prompt, type set dsrm password.
3. At the DSRM command prompt, type one of the following lines:
• To reset the password on the server on which work is being done, type reset password on server null. The null variable assumes that the DSRM password is being reset on the local computer. Type the new password when prompted. Note that no characters appear while you type the password.
-or-
• To reset the password for another server, type reset password on server servername, where servername is the DNS name for the server on which the password is being reset the DSRM password. Type the new password when you are prompted. Note that no characters appear while you type the password.
4. At the DSRM command prompt, type q.
5. At the Ntdsutil command prompt, type q to exit.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.