cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote agents - Clean install of 11d

Tito_Arispe
Level 3
I have issues with my physical backup server.

I want to rebuild my backup server and thought it might also be an opportunity to go to 11d.

I'd prefer a clean install of 11d, but don't want to have to reinstall remote agents and reboot servers. I'm curently on 10d. Is it possible to somehow retain the licensing information from my 10d install and then re-apply it to 11d?

Does 10d BEUtility capture licensing in the media server config info when run, and if so, can you copy the config into an 11d install?

I'm concerned about doing a straight upgrade based on a lot of the posts I've read.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You would have to purchase and install new serials for all Agents anyway.

A media server will talk to one version old agents "for the purpose of rolling upgrades" which means that it is a violation of the licensing policy to run old agents in production

Or do you merely want to migrate all your jobs, selction lists, scheduiles etc to the new system to avoid having to recreate all of that?

Tito_Arispe
Level 3
Thank you Ken for your reply.

Are you saying that if I perform a standard upgrade procedure, my existing 10.2d remote agents will function with 11d. But, if I perform a new install of 11d, then I need to purchase new remote agent licenses?

Or, are you saying that I need to purchase new 11d remote agents whether it's an upgrade or a new install?

My primary objective is to not have to reboot my 25 servers because of an agent install. If upgrading can meet that objective, then I guess I have to go down that path.

Thanks again.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Or, are you saying that I need to purchase new 11d remote agents whether it's an upgrade or a new install?

Correct. No matter how your media server gets to v11d, ALL agents it talks to must be v11d agents to meet the Symantec Licensing Policy. Older agents will physically work, so you don't have to boot 25 servers at one time, but you will need to upgrade all agents, sooner or later, to stay legal

Tito_Arispe
Level 3
Thanks again and very much appreciated. This is exactly what I needed to know.