cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote agents - no errors, but no SCC or MSSQL selections available

Anne_Farrell
Level 3
Greetings all,

I have a BE10.1sp1 installation here, and wish to backup our (W2k3) webservers which sit on a different domain. (On a DMZ through a firewall)

I have manually installed the agent on the webserver, using the setupaa.cmd in the RANT32 folder, and this all seems to be fine. The services are running, and there are no errors in the event logs.

To back this up from the BE media-server, I have had to add the server (by IP) manually as a User-Defined Selection, and have connected with suitable credentials. (It is a domain admin and backup operator, which have "log on locally" rights)

In the selections though, I just see the C: drive, D: drive and SYSVOL for selection. I don't see the SCC or the SQL server that's on that server.

There is full unrestricted access from the LAN to the DMZ, but not the reverse. Does the agent need to communicate independently back to the server? If so, which ports need opening on the Firewall from the DMZ to the LAN?

Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Are you selecting the server under the remote selections?

-- Please check if the Remote agent has been installed correctly on the remote system and its version is same as Backup Exec version(10d).If not then reinstall the remote agent.
-- Add the IP address and Host name of the Remote server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on media server and IP address and Host name of the Media server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on Remote Server. To do this, you will need to locate the lmhosts.sam file and edit it with notepad. Add the target servers name to bottom of the file, and save. This might require a reboot for it to get loaded in to the system.
-- Please check if the Port 10000, which is the default port used by NDMP(Network Data Management Protocol) is not used by any other application. If it is used by another application, please follow the steps given in the following

Technote:

TITLE: How to change the port that NDMP uses in VERITAS Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255498.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Anne_Farrell
Level 3
> Hello,
>
>
> -- Are you selecting the server under the remote
> selections?
No, I had to add it as a "custom selection". Remote selections only lists "Microsoft Terminal Services", "Microsoft Windows Network" and "Web Client Network". MWN only lists local domains found by BE, and the web-domain is obviously not part of that because it's on a different untrusted network segment. I do not have trusts between the two domains.

>
>
> -- Please check if the Remote agent has been
> installed correctly on the remote system and its
> version is same as Backup Exec version(10d).If not
> then reinstall the remote agent.
I think the agent is installed correctly. It is running on the server, I can see the services, and when I look at the properties of the server in BE I can see the agent version.

> -- Add the IP address and Host name of the Remote
> server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on media server
> and IP address and Host name of the Media server to
> LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on Remote Server. To do
> this, you will need to locate the lmhosts.sam file
> and edit it with notepad. Add the target servers name
> to bottom of the file, and save. This might require a
> reboot for it to get loaded in to the system.
Does it have to go in HOSTS and LMHOSTS? Or can I add it to my DNS servers? I'd rather not have settings in my hosts file etc if possible.

> -- Please check if the Port 10000, which is the
> default port used by NDMP(Network Data Management
> Protocol) is not used by any other application.
From the media-server, I can "telnet 172.16.0.100 10000", and I can connect to the agent.

Anne_Farrell
Level 3
Aah, never mind. I took the chance and just added the two web server's IP Addresses to my DNS setup, and have added them to BE as custom selections.

That seems to have solved the problem.

Is it normal for Backup Exec to only be able to talk to servers it knows by name? Adding them by IP didn't seem to work.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yes

You must be able to ping both ways by both IP and Name for the agents to work properly.