cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Fail

Debajit_Adhikar
Level 3
Hi Everyone,
i am a newbie in this forum, don't know how to start. Coming to the point.. I have a Dell PV 124LTO3 Tape Autoloader attached with Dell PE 1800 Server. We have installed the Veritas Backup Exec 10d (60 days Trial Version) downloaded from the veritas site. It is running find and i can take backup from it. The problem is that when i try to Restore, its hang and restore fail every time. i cant even take a remote backup of our SQL server database. Is it because of trial version of the software or settings problem.
If anybody can help me to solve this problem i will be highly greatful.

Regards
11 REPLIES 11

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
What error message(s) are you getting when the jobs fail?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
For the remote SQL backup

Is the Remote Agent installed and running on the SQL Server? Does the BackupExec Service Account have Admin rights within SQL?

sammyc53
Level 5
In the Job Log, are ANY bytes of data exchanged at all? or is it zero?

If it's around 300 bytes, be sure ALL firewalls are off.

Debajit_Adhikar
Level 3

@Keith Langmead wrote:
What error message(s) are you getting when the jobs fail?

Thanks for your reply..

1. NO ERROR MESSAGE SHOWS....ITS SIMPLY HANG..

Debajit_Adhikar
Level 3

@Sam Cayze wrote:

YEA IN THE JOB LOG FILE ITS ZERO...I SWITCH OFF ALL FIREWALLS BUT STILL THE RESTORE FAILS..WHAT TO DO?

Debajit_Adhikar
Level 3

@ken Putnam wrote:
For the remote SQL backup

Is the Remote Agent installed and running on the SQL Server? Does the BackupExec Service Account have Admin rights within SQL?

NO I DIDN'T KNOW THAT..THANKS 4 THE INFORMATION. I WILL TRY IT AGAIN

Debajit_Adhikar
Level 3

@Sam Cayze wrote:

Thanks pal ..it was working. Actually we have installed Zone Alarm that is why it prevents. Once i shut down the Zone Alarm (firewall) its perfectly working...Now can you please tell me what extra features are there in Backup Exec 10d which are very essential for backup..like how can i select a particular slot for a particular backup? what is device pool?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
To guarantee that a job will write to a specific slot, you need to partition the loader and then edit the job to point o the partition

See

A device pool is a group of target devices.  If you point the job to the pool, BackupExec will use the first available device in the pool, rather than queueing and waiting for a specific device

You should also be able to configure ZoneAlarm to allow SQL traffic (port 1433 if I remember correctly) while blocking all other unused ports.

Debajit_Adhikar
Level 3
Thnaks Ken,  for the information   . We are planning to buy the Backup Exec.. Now can you please tell which one will be perfect for us 10d or 11d.? What extra features are there in 11d?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Symantec no longer sells v10d, so you would have to get it from a reseller, and probably would have trouble gettin any kind of support contract for it

The main new feature for v11d is GRT which will let you restore individual items from an Exchange Stores backup.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
11d also can encrypt backup tapes, supports 64 bit media servers, has Active Directory agent, changes to CPS licensing, custom reports, and Liveupdate.

See http://support.veritas.com/docs/283427