cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Selection Lists and Overwritten Media

Net_Admin_2
Level 2
I was recently told that the Restore Selection Lists will remain intact even when the media containing those selections has been overwritten. This person told me I should re-label my media instead of letting it overwrite to ensure that the Restore Selection Lists do not contain selections that have been overwritten and are gone...Is this true??? I had assumed that the list would update itself with the current restore selections that reflect the actual data on my media?
3 REPLIES 3

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

If you label or perfrom erase the restore selection list is overwritten if you rename then it remains intact.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When a tape is Overwritten, is is the same as a quick erase. The label is rewritten.

If the tape was not inventoried when it was inserted, then BackupExec will assume that the last tape it operated in is still mounted, so the wrong tape/restore set may be erased.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Also refer this information:
Overwrite jobs will not rename a tape unless it is the first overwrite job run on the tape since a "Rename" job has been run on it. There are two ways to re-label a tape in Backup Exec.
Label Media - this function will overwrite the header immediatly, updating the tape header with the new label, but rendering what was on the tape un-restorable, just as if you ran a Quick Erase job.

Rename - This function will update the tape label for this cartridge within Backup Exec, but not update the tape header until the next Overwrite job is run, allowing the tape to be restorable until the next overwrite job.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.