cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from another location

Mike_Kirkpatric
Level 3
Partner Accredited
I need to do a redirected restore from another company that we have a business relationship with. I have received the tape and I have cataloged the tape.

However, when I select the media to do a restore from then the folders in the right hand pane all show a red x on them. I have cataloged the tape and the restore would be from a server I have never backed up with my install of BackupExec. What else do I need to do?

TIA
MK
8 REPLIES 8

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We would like to know the data that you want to restore using these tapes were the backups successful?

Please verify in the job log and update us.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mike_Kirkpatric
Level 3
Partner Accredited
I didn't originally do the backups so I don't know. But am I correct in my process which is:

catalog tape
select what I need to restore (which I can't right now)
Run the Restore to a redirected location

Would the red x's normally mean there was something wrong with backup?

I will try to get in contact with whoever originallydid the backup to get more information regarding the if the original backup is good or not.

Thanks
MK

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
For the meaning of the red "x" see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192121.htm

Mike_Kirkpatric
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Yeah,

I took a look at that but that document shows when there are files and folders in the backup with red x's. Mine actually has a red circle thing with an X in it actually on the backup set.

MK

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

The red circle that you have mentioned are probably on the backup set.The backups which were taken were not successful.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mike_Kirkpatric
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Well...I went through all of this checking and come to find out the guy who sent me the tape was using Arcserve for the backup. Is there anyway for BackupExec to restore data from an Arcserve tape and if so what are the limitations?

Steven_English
Level 3
Looking through the TECH Notes, it looks like you can restore from an ArcServer media provided that software compression it not enabled. (see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190558.htm)

gl

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Mike,

As mentioned in the previous mail backup exec can restore tapes from arcserve if software compression was not used.
In which case you just need to catalog them and restore.
But if you still see a red cross in the restore selections it means that the restore will not work since the backuip was completed with errors or exceptions.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.