cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore individual mailboxes

Mecena
Level 2
Hi,

Backup Exec v11d, hot fixes installed, up to 14.
Win 2003 standard with SP1.
"Enable the restore of individual mail messages........." checked
Dell PowerVault 132T tape library.
Microsoft Information Store - First storage group - Mailbox store - NO OPTIONS.
How do you restore individual mail boxes? Admin guide not very logical. It was pretty straight forward in 10d....

13 REPLIES 13

PHOENIX_2
Level 4
Partner
Hi,

My dear friend the restore of individual mailboxes is same in 11d as it was in 10d. So please try the steps that you know. In case you need more clarification please contact me.

Thanks

Mecena
Level 2
I'd like more clarification, please.
In v10d basicaly when you want to restore you go to your mail server, click on Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes, choose a date, a mailbox and you can restore whatever you want from that mailbox (top of the information store, views, shortcuts, etc).
In v11d you have to go to Microsoft Information Store - First Storage Group - Mailbox Store, but under Mailbox Store there are no mailboxes listed.
The way my job is setup is:
I have "Enable the restore of individual mail messages...." checked.
Under Tools - Options - Job Defaults - Microsoft Exchange I have not selected "Enable legacy mailbox support(not recommended)". According to Admin Guide if you select this option you can backup individual mailboxes selectively but also according to the Guide you don't have to do that anymore in v11d because the mailboxes are backed up with Information Store. But if I go to Information Store I don't have the option to restore individual mailboxes or individual items under a mailbox. According to the Guide you have to restore the entire Info Store to a temp location and go from there...Is there a easy way to do that and without backing up same thing twice?
Thank you for your help.

Chad_Douglas
Level 2
I am having exactly this same problem.

I cannot expand the mailbox store!

Nothing I try seems to work, and this thread is the closest thing I've found, and there are no steps.

I have scoured the internet for the last 4 hours trying to figure out how to use this 6%#$&^#$ software!

I'm using BackupExec 11D, 7170 With hotfixes 1,3,4,5 and 14.

Can someone please post the steps, or a link to a KB article?

I've lost about 50% of my hair already!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did you guys select the "enable restore of individual items" option when defining the Exchange Backup job?

That is what makes the backup GRT enabled.  Otherwise you need to use the "legacy method" of explicitly backing up mailboxes, with it's inherhent slowness and it's quirky restores  (some work, some don't)

Chad_Douglas
Level 2
Yes.  I turned it on months ago, when I first got BE11D.

I may be having a permissions problem, though.  I went into the options and enabled the old-style brick backups so that I can start using them if I can't figure this out.

When I try to expand the list of mailboxes, I get an error stating that access is denied, despite the fact that the Backup Exec service account is a Full Exchange Administrator.

I may need to reboot that box to get some of those changes to take effect, and I can't do that until tonight.

What specific permissions does the backup exec service account need to have?  Any particular rights?

Oh, and Exchange is installed on a Domain Controller, so that'll complicate things slightly.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Exchange Admin rights for the BESA  should do it.   There is a unique mailbox for the BESA, right?

Have you tried logging on as the SA and opening Outlook to verify that the account is working properly?

Chad_Douglas
Level 2
BESA did not have an exchange box.

I fixed that, and the old "brick-style" method worked.

However, If I try a restore from tape, I still can't open the Mailbox Store. 

Maybe I'm doing something wrong:

I insert the tape, I inventory the tape.

Then, in the media tab, I right-click the tape volume and choose "restore."

I then choose the backup set I want, which is a backup of the Information store.  I click the + next to it, and it opens up to Mailbox Store and Public Folders Store, both with +'s next to them.  I click the + next to Mailbox store, and the only thing that happens is that the + goes away.

What am I doing wrong?

Mecena
Level 2
And... you always think that the new version should be better and easier to use than the old one...Silly me...

Chad_Douglas
Level 2
Bump.

Anyone got any clue why I can't expand the Mailbox store?

I have some emails I need to recover, and I don't exactly have a spare server I can restore them to and then exmerge them out to a PST.

Anyone?

dragonmc
Not applicable
You may need to assign the Backup Exec service account your using the Exchange Full Administrator role.  You do this by running Exchange System Manager on your mail server and running the delegation wizard from the Actions menu.

Note that, even though you assigned the Backup Exec service account as a domain administrator, this does NOT automatically make the account an Exchange Administrator.  You have to do that explicitely from within Exchange System Manager.  In my case, I simply added assigned the service account itself the Exchange Full Administrator role.

Mecena
Level 2
That's already setup.
Thanks,

AASchneider
Level 3
Mecena,

From my experience it may be possible that you are not doing anything incorrectWe experience issues where we can recover single items one day and the backup job the next day does not allow us to recover individual items even though both jobs completed successfully.  I can only assume that there is a bug in how the data is cataloged.  So far I have been successful in getting it working again by either rebooting the Exchange server (because of scheduled maintenance) or restarting the service with the -debug option (Trying to troubleshoot the issue).  Even though we almost never have an Exchange job fail, our ability to recover individual mailboxes and items seems to disappear about every other week.

If I was you, and your change management procedures allowed, I would upgrade BE 11d to the newest hotfixes and push the agent to your Exchange server again and see if you can recover individual items afterwards.

Anthony

J_Dizzle
Not applicable
I am have the exact problem and I have tried everything. 10d was sooooo much simpler. I have tried everything I can think of including re-installing BE 11d with a newer build, installed all updates, and I STILL cannot get individual mailboxes to appear for restore. I have checked to make sure the BESA is a full exchange admin, and all the options in BE are enabled. I am running the Remote Agent for Exchange and backing up disk to folder.... HELP!?! ANYONE?!?!