cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring AD in safe mode

alandavid
Level 4
I am trying to restore system state on a server running windows 2003 with AD.  It wants to be restarted in Directory Services Restore mode but when that takes place you can not use backup exec 10d.  I have changed the logon credentials while booted in safe mode and still can not get it to load.  Does anyone have any idea as to how to get the backup software started so I can restore system state? thanks

Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
You have to change the service for Backup Exec to logon as local system. You then need to create a network - logon account in Backup Exec to be able to authenicate in DSR mode

Mark

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Assumption : Backup Exec is installed on the domain Controller which you are trying to restore. Hard Drive has not gone bad, the server is up and running, but we only need to restore the AD Database

As the AD Database is down in DSRM, there is no one to authonticate the BE service account.

1  : Start the Server in DSRM
2  : Open the services console and change the startup type of all the Backup Exec services to Lacal System.
3  : Open Backup Exec and perform restore of the C-Drive, system State and Shadow Copy Components.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/236240.htm

Senario 2:
The Hard Drive of the Domain Controller gone bad

If you are facing the 2nd senario, please let me know

Marksw
Level 5
You have to change the service for Backup Exec to logon as local system. You then need to create a network - logon account in Backup Exec to be able to authenicate in DSR mode

Mark