cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring DFS-R data from old replication group

fhptech
Level 3

I need some assistance.  We have tape backups ranging back a year or more that are backup of DFS-R replication groups that no longer exist.  Due to organizational changes we reorganized our replication groups and I have come to find that when attempting to do a restore of the archived data, I cannot:

1.  Restore to the replication group as it does not exist (Query writer failed 0xe000fed1)

2.  Redirect the restore (seemingly a common problem that leads me to...)

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284214.htm

which recommends that we have to restore our entire AD infrastructure back to a state prior to the replication group being deleted in order to restore files to it?

This seems unthinkable as a recommended method of recovering files from a valid backup of DFS-R replicated files.  Someone please tell me that I am misreading this or recommend a competitors product that can import my BackupExec backups and restore them without these limitations

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

fhptech
Level 3

Just to save others headaches over this.  Here is what I was able to resolve with tech support.

1.  You do *not* have to restore your domain in order to restore old DFS-R data despite their technotes telling you otherwise.

2.  I did have to disable/stop all DFS services on my machine and then run the restore which allowed the restoration to take place.

Luckily this worked or otherwise having all our backups rendered useless would have been the last thing BackupExec did in our organization

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

fhptech
Level 3

Just to save others headaches over this.  Here is what I was able to resolve with tech support.

1.  You do *not* have to restore your domain in order to restore old DFS-R data despite their technotes telling you otherwise.

2.  I did have to disable/stop all DFS services on my machine and then run the restore which allowed the restoration to take place.

Luckily this worked or otherwise having all our backups rendered useless would have been the last thing BackupExec did in our organization