cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL 2000 selections grayed out

Rob_Murphy
Not applicable
Greetings:

I have Backup Exec 10d latest build and SP1 running on Windows 2003 Server with Service Pack 1 and latest patches . I have SQL 2000 Server with SP4 running on a second Windows 2003 Server with Service Pack 1 and latest patches .

I have a serial number for the SQL Agent which is entered on Server1. When I tried to do a push install of the remote agent to Server2, I received the error message described in Document ID # 255826. I thus installed the remote agent on Server2 using the "local install" method.

On Server1, when I attempt to select the SQL Server from Server2, the SQL Server is visible but is "grayed out" and I am unable to select it. I have made the changes to the registry described in Document IDs ## 262233 and 276930 . I have verified that the services have been restarted.

Even though I am unable to select SQL Server on Server2, I am able to select file shares .

When I run the backup job, I receive the following error message in the Job Log:

"The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine SERVER2.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVER2\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: No.
Remote Agent not detected on SERVER2.
Unable to attach to \\SERVER2\C:.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.
The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine SERVER2.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation."

I have verified that the Windows Firewall is not enabled on either server.

I need to find out why BE on Server1 believes the remote agent on Server2 is unavailable , and I need to be able to back up my SQL Server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rob Murphy
1 REPLY 1

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Check if the following technote is useful

(title) The resource could not be backed up because an error..." (a000846b HEX or e000846b HEX) or "Media servers cannot completely protect remote Windows-based..." (a000847d HEX or e000847d HEX) when backing up a remote computer

http://support.veritas.com/docs/240971

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.