cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seagate Backup Exec Version 7 Media Issue

Michael_Bohn
Level 3
I recently had a hard drive die, and upon restoring everything worked well, except for my Backup Exec. I purchased a new copy on Ebay, and everything was working well. After a few days of successful backups, it started failing saying the media was overwrite protected. Well, the media is not overwrite protected. I have played with every setting I can think of, but it keeps failing saying the media is overwrite protected. I have even tried using brand new tapes. Any suggestions?
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you had to re-install, BackupExec may think that the tapes are all "imported" from another backup system. Set the global overwrite protection to "partial" rather than "Full" and the tapes should be overwritten without a problem.

Before you run a job, insert the tape and inventory. Does the tape info show in Blue or Black? Blue is overwritable, Black is protected. if after trying the above, the tapes still show in black, try just dragging the tape volume to the scratch media set. (on the media tab)

Michael_Bohn
Level 3
Thanks Ken. I've done the steps you advised, and I'll know soon enough if it works or not!

Michael_Bohn
Level 3
You helped me out big time, Ken. Thanks for that!