cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Crashes while backing up MS Exchange 2003

RS1959
Not applicable

We run MS Exchange 2003.  Recently our server has been crashing while we are running Backup Exec.  It started while we made a few changes and I'm not sure what the problem(s) could be.  At the time when the crashes started we added three (3) new computers to the network running Windows 7, the other seven computers are running XP; our backup tape drive died, so we started backing up to a USB drive; and we purchased an off-site backup program (S.O.S.)  which was installed on the server.  Our tech seems to think there was a problem with the SOS program, but they do not run concurently.  The error codes are 8260 and 8026.

HELP!  We have had seven crashed and I'm worried we could end up damaging our hardware because after every crash we have to reboot our server.  Has anyone else experienced this problem???

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In this kind of cases, you should use WinDebug to analyse the mini-dump that is produced by the crash and see what is the offending application.  It may not be BE that caused the crash, but some other application.

I had a similiar situation once.  BE will crash intermittently.  After analysing the mini-dump, it turns out to be a driver left-over by a deleted application that is crashing.  There is no more crashes after I disable this driver.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Which server is crashing? (The Backup Media Server, the Exchange server or are they actually the same server)

Also what process is crashing?

Also a word of caution if this S.O.S program has any ffile system filter drivers, VSS links and or processes/services running, then Symantec will not have officially tested for interoperability between that program and Backup Exec and it might be a conflict evem though S.O.S. is not active at the time.