cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up 2 identical incremental job's

Lars_Mortensen_
Level 3
Hi

How does the incremental backing up works.
Because I want to set up 2 similar jobs so I can have the tapes for one job with me home (For security reasons) while the other job is backing up.
I'm just not sure about:
If "job 1" takes an incremental backup then the next night "job 2" starts. Will "job 2" then look at what have changed since "Job 2" 's last backup, or will it take backup of what's changed since "Job 1" finished?

If you don’t understand what I mean, it wouldn’t surprise me :), but please ask what it is, and I will try to explain it.

/Lars
5 REPLIES 5

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please refer to the following technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/230247
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Lars_Mortensen_
Level 3
If I understand this right, having a backup job called e.g. "Job 1" and a job called e.g. "Job 2", both are incremental jobs, using the same selection list, are both running every 2nd day.
The only different is that “Job 1” starts e.g. 1 December and “Job 2” starts e.g. 2 December.
Then will "job 2" not take backup of the files that are changed since "Job 2" ran last time, it will only backup those files that have changed since the last incremental backup?

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
Yes, you are right.

If I understand you correctly, you need one job set up as incremental and the other as differential.
The easiest will be to try it. This is easily done.

greetings
Peter

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Lars,

Do update us in case you have further queries on this. As pointed out in the technote as well as the previous reply, the incremental backup will backup all files that are new or changed since the last backup, whether it was a full or an incremental one.

Do revert to us in case you still have any doubts/confusion on this.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Lars_Mortensen_
Level 3
Thanks