cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SharePoint transaction log backups

VeloTime
Level 4
I have a question in regards to backing up the transaction logs for the SQL DBs in my SharePoint farm that I can't get clear from the user guide.

I have read a post from a Symantec employee on this board stating that it is assumed that the recovery model is set to "simple" for sharepoint SQL DBs. This was due to possible inconsistencies between SQL and SharePoint in the case of DR. I can't find this anywhere in the Admin Addendum... Is this true?

Currently I'm performing full backups of these DB's but their recovery is set to "Full". So... as you can guess the transaction logs are getting a bit large.

Should I set the recovery model to Simple? This would solve the transaction log issue but I would still only have a backup from the previous night in case of a failure.
Or, should I keep the recovery model set to full and setup some transaction log backups to run during the day to truncate the logs and give me some point in time backups during the day?

I assume users can still access the DB during a transaction log backup?

Message Edited by Adam Stern on 11-12-2007 01:24 PM
1 REPLY 1

VeloTime
Level 4
Well, this is great...
You can't backup the transaction logs associated with SharePoint databases using BackupExec.
I really wish this was noted in User Guide.
Now I have to setup a maintenance job in the SQL Utility for the transaction logs. Or I can set the recovery model to simple and only have backups from the previous night....

We isn't this mentioned up front in the user guide?