cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint Workspaces not available for backup

Taylor_Alman
Not applicable
The Sharepoint agent is installed on the media server. The remote agent is installed on both sharepoint servers and the sql server on the backend.
However, when i choose to backup individual sharepoint documents i only see "Microsoft Sharepoint Server Farms" under the Remote Selections. This allows me to backup the databases but not individual documents. Why doesn't "Microsoft Sharepoint Portal Workspaces" also show up like the Admin Guide describes?
I've searched under the individual machine names and it's not available there also.
thank you
4 REPLIES 4

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

What is the version of Sharepoint Portal server that you are using ?

You can check the following technote for more information:

Can Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers perform document level backup or restore of Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server 2003?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278308

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Bob_Yuan
Level 2
We have same problem. We are running MS Sharepoint Portal 2003, we don't see sharepoint workspaces in the backup using Backup EXEC v.10.0. Does that mean we cannot backup and restore individual itme in the document libaray based on the article here? Waht is the way to restore individual document then?

I heard that we can restore the whole site to another server, then copy the file to the original server, what are the steps to do that?

Thannks.

Scott_McDonald
Level 2
We have SharePoint 2003 as well, and my assumptions were the same as all of yours - that I could backup and restore individual documents or document libraries. It took a week's worth of emails with tech support before coming to this haulting conclusion: You can't do document level backup unless you UPGRADED from SharePoint 2001 (web folders) and kept the web folders instead of migrating into the SQL based structure of SharePoint 2003. I reread the documentation for BE 10 and noticed that the components that can be backed up for SharePoint 2003 are specifically:

Document Libraries (Web Storage System-based)
- Individual documents can be backed up from and restored to Web Storage
System-based document libraries, or redirected to file paths.

After further inquiries, I was told by a Symantec storage rep that "brick level" (document and document library) based backup would be available in the next release after 10d, probably 11.0.

Needless to say, I was upset that it wasn't more clear in the documentation.

Bob_Yuan
Level 2
Thanks for the assistance and clarification.