Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Backup's

Jono29
Not applicable
Partner
Hi List,

I have a query. I am using SBS 2003, Veritas 9.1, and a compaq dlt 8000 drv on a scsi ultrawide adapter. Since an attempted install of SP2 for SBS my Backups have been remarkably slow. Along with this, Exchange Broke, WMI was completey busted apart, and the IIS metabase was knackered. However, after fixing IIS, WMI & exchange I had kinda hoped that this would solve my backups, but alas, it hasn't. As an example, I am getting write speeds of 38MB/min, and when backing up 80GB, this is taking forever. I ran Process Monitor and get the following repeatedly in the logs:

5677    58:00.4    bengine.exe    5128    DeviceIoControl    \Device\Tape0    SUCCESS    Control: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT
5698    58:00.4    bengine.exe    5128    DeviceIoControl    \Device\Tape0    FAST IO DISALLOWED    Control: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT
5699    58:00.4    bengine.exe    5128    DeviceIoControl    \Device\Tape0    SUCCESS    Control: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT
5719    58:00.4    bengine.exe    5128    DeviceIoControl    \Device\Tape0    FAST IO DISALLOWED

So to summarise, every two lines there is one " FAST IO DISALLOWED", and then "SUCCESS    Control: IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT".

This is really causing me issues so any help is much appreciated. I hope I have made sense, but if not give me a shout and I can provide more info when requested.

Oh, I forgot to add - my suspicions are that this could be related to the SCSI controller - does anyone have any pointers?

TIA

J
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you are using a stand-alone drive, Pass Through should be disabled, this is for drives in a library/loader

From the Devices Tab, right click the drive\properties

Make sure that both Pass Through and both Single Block options are NOT selected

What are the settings for Block Size, Buffer Size and Number of Buffers?