cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Job Rate in 11d

ghostwhisper
Not applicable

I am running around 142MB/Min, backing up roughly 158GB per job, this job is on the local server. When I backup our other machines over the LAN I get a rate of 133MB/min, and I am backing up the same amount of data

Here is my environment.

Win2k3 box, this is the main file/print server, houses the BUE console, and all Remote Agents are pushed out from this machine.

Win2k3 box, running Lotus Domino, this is backed up through the LAN.

Win2k3 box, VOIP server, backed up through the LAN as well

Win2k3 box, SQL, various other small things, backed up over the LAN.

Now the last three machines are backed up on one job. The total averages about 130GB of data in a backup.

My tape drive is a Quantum SuperDLT320. I am using the windows drivers for it. The controller has been tested; switched the cable to the drive. I have done the majority of everything that has been listed in prior search topics like this.

I have made sure that each box is setup to full duplex on both ends (Switch and Server). Some devices are on gigabit and some are not. But with "Verify" enabled I get some jobs that take more then 16 hours, for only about 156GB!! Everthing else that is not on gigabit is 100mbps.

On my local job I have external HD plugged into it via USB2.0 and I pull about 1.6GB off of it. I am trying to think of some other things I can list that would help out, but I think that is it.

The only thing I have not done yet is defragment the servers.

The Remote agents and BUE are all build 6235.

I am doing full backups with "no compression", will archive bit on. After I start getting some more full backups I am going to move to differential backups.

Network Security settings and pretty much set to nothing. I have the option "Enabled Selection of user shares" enabled.

I do not have the option "Enable remote agent TCP dynamic port range" selected. I am not using encryption.

For AOFO I have "Automatically select open file technology" option selected.

I hope someone can help me out, because my backup jobs are suffering at this point. I am sometimes unable to do daily backups because of the length they run. I have been forced to turn off verify because the jobs take so long.

Any help would be much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

PcSysAdmin
Level 4

Your data rate is definitely going pretty slow.. Even though this wouldn't fix your data rate issue, I'd highly suggest a D2D2T strategy instead of straight to tape.. With SATA drives so cheap it's perfect for hooking up a SAS or SATA controller and a bunch of SATA drives on one of the channels... Then you'll have weeks of data on your DAS and then daily backups for archival fun...

Right now, I'm running two Tandberg VXA-320 drives with SATA counterparts for the D2D2T setup.. It helps a lot in saving time if your backups go offsite.. Besides, if you have any issues with a tape freaking out, you didn't waste your time.. Of course, hopefully your Quntum SuperDLT320 doesn't have as many issues as the drives I have.. Tandberg hasn't replaced one of them yet, but I think I'll be able to convince them pretty soon that it needs replaced as it chokes up at 77MB/Min when it's on the same controller as the other drive which get's 780MB/Min.. (Still nowhere near the supposedly NATIVE speed.. but obviously much better)...

This does bring up the thought of what all is on your Quantum's controller?  Does Quantum provide any tools to test bandwidth of the drive?  (You'll probably have to make sure all the Backup Exec services are stopped to ensure they are not messing with the drive and slowing it down)..

Best of luck..

Stephen_Russell
Level 3

Yep - I'm having the same problem.  Sorry I can't offer any help other than to add which windows updates I applied when the slow down happened.  It wasn't on the BU Exec server but on a server using remote agent.  The patches applied in my situation were:

KB950974

KB953839

KB953838

KB952954

KB951748

KB951746

KB951072-v2

KB951066

Hope this may jolt someone's thoughts on what may be causing the problem...

Cheers, Stephen

Message Edited by Stephen Russell on 09-03-2008 10:49 PM
Message Edited by Stephen Russell on 09-03-2008 10:49 PM

Stephen_Russell
Level 3

Well, removing the updates worked - back to full speed.  Didn't have the luxury of being able to do them one at a time to find out which was the offending one, but may try loading singularly on another occassion.

Stephen