cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck in pre-processing

Josh_Kogler
Level 2
I have a Windows 2k3 server, with BE 9.1 sp4 that works without W2k3 SP1, but when I install SP1 the job gets stuck in pre-processing mode. Uninstalling SP1 resolves this issue.

I have tried the following: installed veritas tape drivers, the drive is not paused, backing up to disc works fine, no scsi error codes, advanced file open is not selected, created a new backup job, disabled the firewall, disabled AV, and double checked the various reg changes recommended by other tech notes.

Very frustrating how I can have all the files that are included within SP1 installed, but when I actually install SP1 it breaks BE.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Josh,

As your backup to disk is running fine, the problem could be in Tapes.

We request you to stop Removable Storage Manager Service and check for any Event ID 5s, 7s, 9s, 11s, and 15s that may occur on system startup, or during backup.

This should resolve your issue.

Please revert incase of any doubts.

Thanks

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Josh_Kogler
Level 2
I am using brand new tapes.

Even if I was using older tapes, why would it work without sp1 and then when I installed sp1 it would fail?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Do you receive any event ids 7, 9, 11, 15 in the event logs?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Josh_Kogler
Level 2
No.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Josh!

We would like to have some more information to diagnose the exact cause of
the issue and to provide a precise solution to overcome it.

Are you doing local backup or remote backup?

Please elaborate more on what data you are backing up and it's exact size.

If it is a remote backup , please let us know the version of OS you are backing.

If it is a local backup, exclude shadow copy components from the selection and try the job.

Also start SGMON utility before running this job. And check if there are any errors generated when this "stuck at preprocessing" happens.

Under Tools->Options->Preferences, have you checked the option "Display Progress Indicator for backup job" ?

Furthermore we would like to suggest you to download 9.1 Service Pack 4a
that includes Critical Security Update .

Link for the same is :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/280008

Do revert back with details.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.Message was edited by:
Swati Joshi