cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck on the "remove the media from the drive" pop-up

mgilroy
Not applicable
Backup exec (windows 2000) gave me an alert about two weeks ago that the Sony AIT3 drive required cleaning. Ran the cleaning tape and have had a consistant problem ever since. (BTW, I'm using BE ver 8.60 bld 3878). The tech support company I use sent in a tech who, among other things, updated the firmware on the Sony SDX 700c. Then the drive thought all my old tapes were "bad media" running an inventory seemed to fix that problem for the first three tapes. Then . . .

BE worked fine for two days and then started getting flakey, giving me a pop-up alert to "Please remove the media from the drive, and Respond OK." I can tell it "OK" and it'll pop-up again in a few seconds. If I cancel the active job, the cancel option becomes grayed out but I still get the same remove media message. It's been that way for over a week, even after power down restarts.

Any thoughts,
Mike
2 REPLIES 2

Not applicable
I have the exact same issue with BE 8.60 rev 3808 on Windows 2000. I would appreciate any BE support that Veritas could give on this error.

We cannot power down production servers to resolve what appears to be a software issue. There is nothing physically wrong with the drive.

Barbara Griswold

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Did you actually remove and replace the tape when you are prompted to do so? You say you hit OK and it prompts again after a few seconds, so I am not sure...

Perhaps you guys need to rerun the tapeinst.exe to reinstall Backup Exec drivers. Maybe they have been corrupted somehow.

I wouldn't simply state there is nothing wrong with the hardware, it could have corrupted firmware, bad heads, something else could be going wrong. At this point, I wouldn't rule out either the software or the hardware.