cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 2010 Agent for VMWare or Hyper-V

Matt2010
Level 2

Can someone help?  If I purchase the Backup Exec 2010 Agent for either VMware or for Hyper-V, what exactly do I get with that?  Do I get just the agent to protect the host or do I also get unlimited Windows Agents to protect each of the VMs running on my host server? 

Thanks in advance,
Matt

3 REPLIES 3

fiNal
Level 4
it's my understanding that you get unlimited Windows Agents to install on your VMs. However, you have to get a AVVI-License per VMware ESX host you're running. So if you have three ESX hosts, you need to license AVVI three times.

Matt2010
Level 2
Okay, so I need to buy the Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure (one per host in my environment) and I am entitled to unlimited Windows Agents on each of my VMs? Do I necessarily need to install the Windows Agents in my VMs or does it give me additional granular recovery capabilities?  I was just going to enable GRT.

Thanks,
Matt

fiNal
Level 4
You don't need to install the Agent on the Windows VM in order to backup it, but you won't be able to restore single files of that VM or use ApplicationGRT if you don't install the Agent. Also, the job will end with a warning if you enable GRT and don't have the agent installed.