cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Ejects Before Job is Complete

Mike401
Level 3
For the past month when the program runs its backup, it will eject the tape before they backup job is completed. I have checked the logs and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

I have download SP1 but have not installed it yet. I am not sure if this will help because there is no listing for this type of problem.

Any help is much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
> For the past month when the program runs its backup,
> it will eject the tape before they backup job is
> completed. I have checked the logs and nothing looks
> out of the ordinary.
>
> I have download SP1 but have not installed it yet. I
> am not sure if this will help because there is no
> listing for this type of problem.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.

If at lease some data is being backed up, this is usually because the tape is filling up.

What kind of drive are you useing, what is the capacity of your drive, how much data is backed up before it ejects the tape?

If no data is being backed up, this is probably because the tape is overwrite protected (if yo do an inventory, the tape info shows up in blue rather than black), and you either need to change the retention period on the media set, drag the volume to the scratchy set, or re-label the volume before you try to use it.

Sagar_Kamat_2
Level 6
In addition to Ken's reply, you may try to perform the following to isolate the issue:

1. Use fresh/new tape to perform backups.

2. You may also try to perform a backup that can fit in the tape. For example, if the tape is 40/80 tape, please perform backup of data that is arround 20-30GB.

3. For test purposes, you may also perform a small backup using Windows native NTbackup and observe the results. This is to check the functionality of the hardware.

Note: To access the drive using NTbackup, the VERITAS device drivers need to be uninstalled and the latest OEM drivers need to be installed.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Mike,

Kindly uncheck the Option "Eject Media" in the Job settings.

Also check if there are any pending alerts which have not been responded to.If they exists then clear them by responding.

Now re-run the backup job and check the results.
==========================

FYI:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm

Hope this helps.

halligas
Level 2
Possibilities:

1) The job is set to append and the tape is full.
2) The job is set to overwrite and the tape is full. Keep in mind that the amount of the data that the tape claims it can hold compressed (for example 20/40 means 20 G uncompressed and 40 compressed) is not gonna happen. A 20/40 tape on a server with fairly standard data may be able to hold 30G. This is due to alot of the files on the system already being in a compressed state. You will never (ok, rarely) be able to get 40G on a tape.
3) Something is funky with the media retention settings and the system thinks the tape contains data to new to overwrite.
4) Write protect tab

If you are getting some but not all data backed up, #1 or #2 is the likely cause. If you are getting no data backed up prior to it spitting the tape out, it is likely #3 or #4.