cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape drives connected to VMWare

TonyP4you4me
Level 4

I was just informed that Veritas no longer officially supports tape drive connectivity to a backup server running on VMware.  

If anyone has a solution for BE15 running on Windows 2012 in VMWare, please let me know.  

Does 2014 support it? 

My hardware is HP Ultrium 3000 LTO5 (SAS).  LSI Ultra 320 SCSI 2000 series card.  VMWare 5 and 5.5.  Currently running BE 2010 R2 SP1 on Win 2k8 R2.  Plan to build a new 2012 server and reconfigure BE from scratch.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Take a look at this VMware document

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1016407

in particular, this

As per the vSphere 5.x Release Notes, VMware does not support Tape Drives connected directly to ESXi 5.x.

Veritas cannot support something which even the vendor does not support

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

It isn't Veritas, but VMware themselves. Symantec/Veritas supports running a virtual media server in a limited extent, ie. backing up to disk, not to tape.

1 of the latest versions of VMware itself stopped SCSI passthrough if I remember correctly, and this was what was required to get a media server running on a VM to see a tape drive.

Trust me it isn't worth it at all. I was overruled once when I said this wouldn't work, and it got put in...needless to say there was unnecessary downtime of ESX hosts that needed rebooting whenever the drive dropped out of the media server's Device Manager and therefore out of Backup Exec.

Best practice is to use a physical server when backing up to tape.

Read below for more information:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH130609

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Take a look at this VMware document

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1016407

in particular, this

As per the vSphere 5.x Release Notes, VMware does not support Tape Drives connected directly to ESXi 5.x.

Veritas cannot support something which even the vendor does not support

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Whist the terminology in documents may have changed the  support status has not so I am not 100% sure where the belief that we "no longer officially supports tape drive connectivity to a backup server running on VMware" comes from (unless you were referring to some potentially incorrect documentation that existed in the ESX 3.5 timescale - see below)

Some history:

in ESX 3.5 documents, VMware originally stated that Tape drive passthrough was supported as long as certain Adaptec SCSI cards were used - our documentation at the time assumed supported because of VMware's statement, however even back then we had not officially tested such a configuration and our documentation therefore did have a problem. Note: The VMware documentation was only for passthrough, no capability to manage a tape device was included as part of the ESX host operating system (although there was no clear documentation making this point.)

in ESX 4.0 documents from VMware, the text covering tape drive passthrough was changed to indicate that whether or not it was supported was now down to the backup software vendor (in other words Symantec/Veritas) to confirm and document. Not long after this, Symantec rewrote our documentation to indicate that such a configuration had not been officially tested by us and we defined it as an Alternative Configuration that did not have official support.

Since this rewrite of Symantec documentation (during the ESX 4.0 timescale) we still do not certify tape drive passthrough and our support status has not changed (although it looks like VMware may have added a statement into their document, at some point, that states that they do not provide any tape management on the host. Our documentation has periodically been edited to add in updated versions (and has now moved to Veritas branded) but such a configuration has, to all intents and purposes, remained as not officially supported and defined as an Alternative Configuration.

In terms of what customers have been doing (with ESX 4.x forwards), we do know that some have configured tape passthrough (including CraigV above).  Whilst we do not know if any have been reliably using such a configuration (as no one tells us when things work) we have seen feedback in both these forums and the odd case that reached Tech Support that indicates that unpredictable device connectivity issues can occur with symptoms such as failures during tape read or  write operations, inability to move tapes from slots to drives and hardware (drives or libraries) going offline. Some customers found a systems restart resolves the issue temporarily but then it will come back, meaning you cannot rely on the connectivity and as far as we are aware any customers with problems are no longer using such a configuration.

CraigV

...nooooooooooooooooooo! Not my idea ;)

It was done against my will and I have first-hand knowledge and experience of how bad an idea this was. Do NOT connect a VM to a tape drive presented via SCSI pass-through in VMware.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Craig - don't worry I know it was not your idea to do it

TonyP4you4me
Level 4

Thanks for the ammo.  I got that language from my CTO............................. :\  

CraigV

It becomes a mess when you use an unsupported solution...the TN posted above confirms what I'd said, and previous versions of VMware, while they used to support it, did it badly. Which is probably why it was removed.

Thanks!