cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Media Server was unable to connect to remote machine (subnet)

Bart_Peeters
Level 3
When we try to setup a backup configuration with different subnets, we receive the following error:

The Media Server was unable to connect to remote machine: 10.3.1.1 using selected subnet: 10.1.1.0.

The configuration is as follows:

We use two different subnets 10.1.1.0/24 and 10.3.1.0/24. The connection between the subnets is done with a DELL 6024 layer 2/3 switch. Our Backup Server has an IP address 10.1.1.9 and the server we want to backup has IP address 10.3.1.1. I also enabled the: “Remote Agent advertising” and “Use any available network route for remote agents not bound to the above network ID” options. It is possible to select resources on the server we want to make a backup of. (Like files, mailboxes…) The installation of the remote agent is also no problem. But when the job starts with the process, it fails with the error code displayed above. We use a network connection that has load balancing.

The server 10.1.1.9 is working fine, because he makes a backup of several servers present in the network 10.1.1.0. But from the moment he wants to make a backup of a server present in the network 10.3.1.0, he fails.

All applications like Exchange, Win2k (DNS, DHCP, Active Directory…) between the two subnets are working fine. We can do file transfers between the two servers without any problems.

Is there maybe something else that needs to be activated?
4 REPLIES 4

Justin_Brooks
Level 4
I had a similar problem last week, that was solved by re-installing the Remote Agent on the remote machine

Bart_Peeters
Level 3
I tried to reinstall the agent from the control panel. But when I started the job I still received the same error.

Grtz, Bart

Bart_Peeters
Level 3
Problem solved:

It seems there is also an option network selection with every backup job. If you change it there it works. I only changed the default parameter on the option menu. I don’t understand why these two options are separated. Is this maybe a bug?

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Well, this is not a bug. Could have been a wrong configuration before and now due to a configuration change, the problem is resolved.

Thanks for the update that the problem has been resolved. Then we consider this post as resolved and thereby closing it.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.