cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The connection to the remote agent...

Karel_Kerezman
Level 3
We're having a strange one. The server (WK6, for what it's worth) is backing up a bunch of other machines that have Remote Agents installed. One machine in particular, WK22, fails almost every night unless its Remote Agent service is restarted beforehand. The network connection & drivers have been updated & tested, we've defrag'd and checked and patched and tweaked the machine (yes, we read the KnowledgeBase), but still we get the failures. It's always on WK22, and it's not always at the same point in the data. The Remote Agents are on the latest versions all the way 'round.

What do you think, folks?
12 REPLIES 12

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you tell us the exact error message that you receive..

What are you backing Up?

Thank You,

Shweta

Karel_Kerezman
Level 3
Error: The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Please check for network errors.

We're backing up (oddly enough) a workstation. (Yes, it has the current Remote Agent version. Yes, its networking configuration is correct.) The other half-dozen workstations in the backup job are working just fine, generally speaking.

Karel_Kerezman
Level 3
And, because I was a clever monkey, I enabled logging in the remote agent, and I finally got my mitts on the file I wanted. Now, for a job whose log says "Backup started on 8/12/2006 at 2:50:13 AM" and "Backup completed on 8/12/2006 at 3:10:15 AM" for the WK22 resource, I wonder why WK22's debug log reads as follows...

08/12/06 02:50:13 Windows Server 2003 (or higher) detected. No S2LP mapping required.
08/12/06 02:50:13 Informational: Local share path C: used to populate the System Protected File table
08/12/06 02:53:04 TF_GetNextTapeRequest( ) Error = E00084F9
08/12/06 02:53:04 TF_GetNextTapeRequest( :( Recalled in Error State
08/12/06 02:53:04 TF_GetNextTapeRequest( :( Recalled in Error State
08/12/06 02:53:04 TF_CloseSet()
08/12/06 02:53:04 Fatal error in channel.
08/12/06 02:53:04 FreeFormatEnv( cur_fmt=0 )
08/12/06 02:53:04 Detach from \\WK22\C:
08/12/06 02:53:04 TF_FreeDriveContext( D9D2C0 )
08/12/06 02:53:04 TF_FreeTapeBuffers: from 10 to 0 buffers
08/12/06 02:53:04 Job Stop(0) - Sat Aug 12 02:53:04 2006
08/12/06 03:08:48 Agent browser advertisement cycle complete. Advertisement interval is 60 minutes.

I hope that helps...

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Verify the the remote agent service is running under local syatem account on the media as well as the remote server

In Backup Exec go to tools >options>Network and firewall and select the option>use any available network adapter
In Backup job properties >select Advanced and select the remote agent priority to lowest

Let us know the update

thanks.

Karel_Kerezman
Level 3
I have just verified that the BE remote agent is running under local System account on the endpoint as well as the backup server. (We'd checked this before, as per other threads on the forum, but it never hurts to double-check.)

Use Any Available Network Adapter was already set.

Remote Agent Priority was normal, and is now set to Lowest Priority.

I'll update this thread as soon as we can see results of one sort of another.

Karel_Kerezman
Level 3
Well, that seems to have made things worse:

====

Backup- WK22
The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine WK22. The machine could not be found on the network.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
Unable to attach to \\WK22\C:.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

====

The Remote Agent was running the entire time on WK22.

Geoffrey_Frye
Level 2
I too am having the same problem backing up a new IBM XP machine. Same errors as posted. I notice that it fails at the same point everytime. I've reloaded the client many times. One thing odd about this machine is that I could not remotely install the client. "Access Is Denied" was the error but was able to install locally. Tried everything I could think of.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Does the job span across media?

Check whether you are getting any active alerts during the job?

Is the job set to overwrite or append the media?

Is there any firewall between the media server and the remote server?

Regards
Padmaja

Karel_Kerezman
Level 3
To answer your questions, in order: No, We're not, Overwrite, There is not.

We only had one instance of that error in my previous message, now we're back to the same failure message and debug output as in my earlier messages.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Request you to uninstall the remote agent ,reboot the server and then install the agent.

Thanks.

Karel_Kerezman
Level 3
We're still stuck, but now we have a question that may lead to a resolution:

What's the minimum Ethernet bandwidth requirement for communication with a Remote Agent? Currently the failing device is sitting on the other end of a Patton Technologies Ethernet Extender running at ~5Mbps. Should we upgrade to a faster model?

Thanks.

Karel_Kerezman
Level 3
Does anyone know what the minimum Ethernet bandwidth requirement is for reliable Remote Agent communication? We've been fighting this intermittent failure on one particular endpoint for months, and are beyond tired of it. Thanks.