cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The job failed with the following error: Library Error - attempt to clean a drive in a library with expired or bad cleaning media.

schin
Level 3

Hi there,

Hope that I post in the correct category.

We have Symantec Backup Exec installed on our Win Server 2008 R2 server to run daily backup job. We've been using this since year ago but this is the fourth time we hit the above error. This error has eventually caused the backup job failed. We changed the new cleaning tape for the last three times, but I was wonder why the cleaning tape turn to be bad media so fast.

I've been searching from the forum since last week and found that the tape itself does have a lifetime. Just some questions, the lifetime of the tape is the number of mount? As I've tried to reset the mount but it still detect as bad cleaning media.

Also, I've checked that the device appeared as Unknown medium changer in the Device Manager. Have tried to Initial Library and Inventory, both failed the tasks.

Can someone help on this? Would appreciate for any suggestions.

Thank you very much.

13 REPLIES 13

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Try this: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64601

Sometimes a bad drive also can cause this. So check the functionality of the drive by using OEM specific tools (like HPLTT). If any errors detected with the drive, then you have to replace it.

Regards....

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Usually, when a HP library asks repeatedly to be cleaned despite being cleaned recently, it is a sign of failure of the tape drive.  As adviced previously, run the LT&T utility against the tape drive.  Make sure that you stop all the BE services first and select the write test.  If it fails, then it is easier to convince HP to replace the tape drive.  Even if it passes the test, insist on getting the tape drive replaced.  I had this problem twice previously and they were solved by replacing the tape drive.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Just some questions, the lifetime of the tape is the number of mount? As I've tried to reset the mount but it still detect as bad cleaning media.

Normally, you should replace the cleaning cartridge after the number of cleaning runs specified by the manufaturer.   Just resetting the mount count will not help if the cartridge is worn out

schin
Level 3

Thanks Kiran. I've tried the link before but it couldn't help.

As we are using IBM System Storage TS2900 LTO 4 Tape Autoloader, do you know where I can download the tool in order to detect the drive error?

schin
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

We are now using IBM System Storage TS2900 LTO 4 Tape Autoloader, do you know where can I get the tool in order to detect the drive error?
For the first time, I didn't know and call IBM to log case as I thought something wrong with the tape loader. At the end, they replaced the tape and sorted the problem. Then I thought the cleaning tape error might be possible caused by the tape loader and thought reset the number of mount will resolve the problem.

schin
Level 3

Hi Ken,

I didn't know that the cleaning tape can't be recycled??? Then we will have to buy one cleaning tape each year sad

Our first time of hitting this error, IBM engineer did came to troubleshoot (I wasn't know and log a case to IBM) and was ended up by replacing a new cleaning tape, but didn't inform me that the tape can't be recycled.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would have to get the diagnostic utility from IBM.  If you are under some sort of support contract with IBM, I would suggest that you get them in.  It is most probably a hardware problem.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I didn't know that the cleaning tape can't be recycled??? Then we will have to buy one cleaning tape each year

You can use each cleaning tape multiple times (normally 20, I believe) but after that, you should replace the cartridge with a new one. 

So if you do a cleaning job every other week, it will be slightly more than one new tape a year.  They just need to include the price in the IT  budget, the same as other consumables, like paper and toner

schin
Level 3

Thanks Ken, I've ordered two new cleaning cartridges and hope this will solve the problem.

Anyway I've contacted IBM to get tool which can detect whether is the tape problem, still waiting on that.

Thanks everyone.

schin
Level 3

Hi pkh, I've contacted IBM as the Storage system is still under 3-year warranty. Have asked for the diagnostic tool but still waiting for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

schin
Level 3

Just to update, have checked with IBM, they dont have diagnostic tool for this tape autoloader.

schin
Level 3

have got my 2 new cleaning tapes and already inserted to the library but now hitting another error message:

Backup Accpac-Backup Thursday-Backup ToTape Thursday -- The job failed with the following error: Before you can back up this resource, you must purchase and install a license key for the appropriate Backup Exec agent. See Job Log for details.

any ideas? please advise because this is the x times i hit this error. Usually I'll uninstall everything and re-install.

Thank you. 

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

For IBM mke tape devices, you have to use IBM ITDT tool to test the functionality.

You can download it from IBM site. (U can also search in Google)

Before running it stop BE services. Select write test also while testing the library.

Regards....