cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Rates?

Timothy_Beran
Level 3
Let me start out with a brief overview, I have 16 servers all in a rack each having two gigabit network cards. I have my production network (172.18.X.X/24) and a Backup network (192.168.0.x/24) I have set veritas to use the backup network, which is the second network card in the binding order on every server.

First Problem: My speed suffers, ex 42-50 MB/min (per veritas job monitor). I tell the job to use the production network I am geting an avg of 1300 MB/min (again per veritas job monitor).

Second Problem: With all servers on a gigbit connection shouldn't the rate be around 7000 MB/min? What speeds are others getting?

Thank you in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
What type of tape drive are you using? At gigabit speeds you can expect the tape drive to be the bottle neck rather than the network, so with many tape types you won't max out your network connection.

If you're using something like LTO1 then I'd expect it to be running a little faster than that over a gigabit network, but not more than twice as fast, if it's LTO2/3 then it should be faster still. Afraid I don't have much experience with any of the other modern tape technologies.

Timothy_Beran
Level 3
It is a LTO2 HP MSL6000 Library.

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Then you should definitely be seeing be seeing better speeds than that!

Have you checked that the two nic's are running at 1Gb and full duplex on the media server and remote servers? Have you tried changing the network cables connected to the backup nic in case there is a fault there? Could there be an issue with the switch you're using for the backup LAN? Have you tried copying large files from one remote server to another over the backup lan and from one remote server to the media server to see if there is a problem with the media server specifically or the network in general?

Timothy_Beran
Level 3
I will try that, my backend network is running on a HP Procurve gigabit ... i believe it is a 2824. I just tested a 2.4 gig file between multiple servers, I have noticed this. When sitting at server A and dropping the file to Servers B, C, D I would get an avg of 40% of Network utilization of the backend network. (Got the same results from the front end network. When pulling the file from servers B,C,D to A I would get approx 21% of network utilization. Dropping the file from server A to a high end workstation resulted in 0.25% of network utilization. Any help on this would be appricatied, I am becoming baffled my this.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

Could you Update us on Keiths Reply?

Thanks
Regards