cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Try to set up cleaning slot with Dell PV132T

Michael_DePew
Level 3
I have BE 10.0 installed on a server running Win. 2000 Adv. Server, attached via SCSI to a Dell PV132T robotic library.

I had initially configured a slot on the library itself to be a cleaning slot, and could successfully clean a drive from the library. However, the slot would not appear in BE in the devices view. So I reconfigured the slot to be a data slot, rebooted everything, and the slot now shows up.

Now that it shows up though, everytime I go to the library and try to configure that slot as a cleaning slot, and then go back to BE and check the box stating it's a cleaning a slot, it gets messed up. The cleaning tape itself doesn't show up in the Device view, even though it's in the library in the correct slot, and anytime I try to clean from it gives me an error saying the device is busy or there were "incorrect arguments" or that the required media was not found.

Anyone else have problems configuring cleaning slots?
2 REPLIES 2

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
I also have a Dell PV 132T.
BE 10.1 Rev. 5629

With a PV 132T, you have 2 options for how to clean the drives.

You can set the hardware to do the cleaning:
Check the PV documentation!
This is when you would configure (on the PV) a slot as a cleaning slot and also enable auto-cleaning.

You can do the cleaning from the host application (Backup Exec):
From the Dell hardware perspective, leave everything "as is" - no configuring.
I have imported a cleaning tape to Slot 23.
In BE, "Devices", right-click that slot and tick the "Cleaning slot" box.
Make NO change at any stage to the library itself.

When the LCD display of the PV asks for a clean, right-click on the drive in BE and select "Clean".
BE takes the cleaning tape, cleans drive, returns tape to Slot 23.

Only other thing - I am using proper bar code labels, and the label for a cleaning tape must start with "CLU..."

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Did the steps provided to you by Robert help you?

- Do you receive any events in the event logs?

- Have you installed the latest veritas Drivers?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.