cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to backup Exchange Mailboxes with Backup Exec 10d

Brian_Chinn
Level 2
I'm running Exchange Server 2003 and Backup Exec 10d on the same server.  I try and select the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes to backup but I get the "logon account failed to access the mailbox" error.

I have reviewed several technotes and have done the following.
The service account that I use is unique and has a unique mailbox name
The service account is NOT hidded from the Global Address List
The service account has Full Exchange Administrator rights to the Exchange Organization
The service account is a local machine admin (and has domain admin privs as well)

The point at which I run into trouble comes from KB article #249456 ( http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/249456.htm ), specifically instructions #18 and #27
at #18, it say I need to grant the service account Send As and Receive As permissions, however, the account (in fact all the accounts) have inherited explicit Deny on those permissions (which can't be turned off without turning off inheritance), and if I recall from my A/D training, if you have both allow and deny rights to something, the deny always wins. 
at #27, it says I need to Select Allow for everything except Associated external account, but like above, everything is inherited and i can't select any of those items.

What can I do to fix this?

Message Edited by Brian Chinn on 09-22-2007 10:41 PM
1 REPLY 1

Naved_Ikram
Level 4
Hi Brian,

Do the Backup Exec logon account have a mailbox which is active i.e. do u send and recieve emails from that account. If not then send 2 mails to that account so that the mailbox is active. Also check the version of Esebcle2.dll on Media server and the Exchange server. The version should be the same.

On both the servers, go to HKLM/Software/Backup Exec/Engine\Restrict Anonymous support and make it one on both the servers. Restart the Backup Exec services.

Lets me know if this helps.

~Naved