cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT: Tape is Not Data Grade

Matt_Dunleavy
Level 2
Hello,

We use dell servers with Dell Ultrim LTO 2 Tapes. On one of the servers Veritas is coming up with a message saying that "The Tape is not data grade your data is at risk". This tapes are very expensive to replace.

I have done some reasearch in regards to this problem and understand that the MRS (Media Recognition System) is unable to deterim if the tape is data grade.

What causes the tape not to be recognised, i belive that all these tapes where orginal certifed as data grade. Is it the server? is it the tape? is it safe to use the tape?

The tape sucessfully backsup and verfies the data with out any problems except that warning message. It has been tested and proved to be working.

All help greatly appreicted.

Regards,
Matt
7 REPLIES 7

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
If you are using veritas drivers, please check the reulst with OEM drivers, do not use RAID controller to attach the tape, a scsi interface works better.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Matt_Dunleavy
Level 2
Im not exactly sure what your trying to say or if you accednelty replyed to this topic with the meaning to reply to someone elses?

reulst
?

The question is n regards to the tape not being data grade?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I think Renuka was trying to type "results".

On other words, try changing drivers and see if the problem still exists.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please update.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Matt_Dunleavy
Level 2
This is by no means answered i still dont know why its saying the tape is not data grade, or what it means?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- This error indicates that the drive has not been able to read the MRS stripe from the tape.

- This error is in fact generated by the tape drive and passed on to Backup Exec.

- This error is generated by the tape drive when the drive is Media Recognition System (MRS) compliant and tapes are not.

- There are two conditions under which this might have happened.

1) Either the firmware is upgraded recently and drive became MRS complaint and recognized that the tapes are
not MRS complaint.

2) Or the tapes have been replaced recently with non-MRS complaint tapes.

-This issue is most likely that the new drive has updated firmware is now MRS compliant, but he is still using the same tapes which are not MRS compliant.

-Kindly contact the Hardware vendor for the same

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Poomba_One_2
Level 2
Matt did you get this resolved? I've posted same problem, we've done the leg work. From what I see, one trend is emerging.