cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add directories to job on hold

Karl_Swenson
Level 3
v10.0 build 5484 Windows 2003 Server
I have a scheduled job on hold, that is backing up select directories on another server. This has run before, and the remote agent is installed & running.
I would like to add another directory, but when I right click and select Properties, Remote Selections is grayed out.
I just noticed this last week. Is it just by chance that my support expired the same day, July 27th? I renewed my support, do I have to install the support certificates? How?

I can not create another job, or edit any of the saved jobs, as Remote Selections is grayed out each time. If I hold the mouse over Remote Selections, the box says "...Not selectable for backup. Displayed for information browsing purposes only."

Who can point me in the right direction?
Thanks.
Karl
11 REPLIES 11

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello Karl,

Make sure that you have entered the remote agent license on the media server and the remote agent on the remote server.

Also verify if Backup exec remote agent service is running under local system account on both the servers.

Thank you,

Karl_Swenson
Level 3
Yes, Backup Agents are running on each server.

>>Make sure that you have entered the remote agent license on the media server and the remote agent on the remote server.<< The original licenses were installed, as this job has run before. Do I need current support in order to see the Remote Servers?
Do I need to install the 'support certificates' also? If so, HOW?
Karl

Karl_Swenson
Level 3
Yes, Backup Agents are running on each server.

>>Make sure that you have entered the remote agent license on the media server and the remote agent on the remote server.<< The original licenses were installed, as this job has run before. Do I need current support in order to see the Remote Servers?
Do I need to install the 'support certificates' also? If so, HOW?
Karl

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What support certificate are you referring to? As mentioned above, in order to protect a remote server, all you need to do is, insert the same version license number on the media server and then either push install or do a silent install of the remote agent on the remote server. You can do so from the tab 'Tools'install remote agent.'

If you get any errors, do revert with details.

Karl_Swenson
Level 3
>>What support certificate are you referring to?<< The certificates I received from Symantec (Veritas) when I renewed my support. They don't have a serial number.

I have the remote agents installed, and they work, as the backup job does run. I just can not edit the job, or add directories to the backup job.
The backup jobs I have work as specified, but I can not edit them.
Does anyone know why? What happened that BU Exec will not let me edit the jobs?
Karl

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

--- Is the job scheduled or on Hold ? or scheduled and also HOLD option selected on the Backup Job properties window ?

--- Can you edit the selection list from Job Setup Menu ?

--- Does this happen with this job only or with all others,if you want to edit them ?

--- Update us on the version of beremote.exe on Media and remote Server .

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Karl_Swenson
Level 3
>>Is the job scheduled or on Hold ? or scheduled and also HOLD option selected on the Backup Job properties window << Both. It does not seem to make a difference. I have three jobs, one is scheduled and runs each evening, the other two are scheduled and are on hold. I can not edit the selections on any of them.

>>Can you edit the selection list from Job Setup Menu ? << no. Same issues. The Remote Selections box is grayed out. No remote servers appear, even those the job that runs each evening is backing up the remote servers, so the agent is installed and functioning.

>>Does this happen with this job only or with all others,if you want to edit them ? << All jobs. I am unable to create any new jobs to backup any remote servers.

Version of beremote on the media & remote servers - 10.0.5484

Thank you for any help you can provide. It is one of these details that I am missing. BUExec has worked so well for a year, then this.
Karl

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Add the IP address and Host name of the Remote server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on media server and IP address and Host name of the Media server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on Remote Server. To do this, you will need to locate the lmhosts.sam file and edit it with notepad. Add the target servers name to bottom of the file, and save. This might require a reboot for it to get loaded in to the system.

Please check if the Port 10000, which is the default port used by NDMP(Network Data Management Protocol) is not used by any other application. If it is used by another application, please follow the steps given in the following Technote:

TITLE: How to change the port that NDMP uses in VERITAS Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255498.htm

Thank You,

Shweta

Karl_Swenson
Level 3
>>Add the IP address and Host name of the Remote server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS << I added the IP addresses to each file, and rebooted each server. No change. This did not solve the problem.

I checked and no other program appears to be using port 10000.
The backup jobs currently work, I can not edit them. I would suspect that if there was a port conflict, the backup jobs would not run. Is that correct?

I have two working jobs that I can NOT edit.
The daily backup runs each evening and completes properly. I just can't edit it or create any more jobs. Why not?
Karl

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Karl,

What is the error message that you are getting?

Also we suggest.

The Backup Exec Version 10.1 build 5629 is the latest version of Backup Exec.

* Start the installation over the existing installation. You need not uninstal the earlier version.

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d rev. 5629 for Windows Servers Installation Files

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279332

You only need to reinstall the remote agents:

Here is the link:

How to perform a local installation of the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers or the Advanced Open File Option

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258982

Karl_Swenson
Level 3
I believe I have solved my problem, although I am still not sure why it behaves this way.
Just to make sure, I visited the Resource Credential area and entered the Admin password again. This gave me the Remote Selections back again. I don't remember changing the password in the credential area, but who knows. What I don't understand is if the credentials were bad, IE bad pw, then how would the job run successful each evening?
Any how, after a couple of weeks of scratching my head, I think this is solved.
Karl