cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore DFSR provisioned files

Andrew_Styler
Level 4
It seems BE 10d will not restore files from inside DFSR if the config of DFSR has been recreated.

it complains it can't find the writer upon restore.

What Symantec have suggested is to restore AD (which hase the DFSR config inside) on another machine, reboot then restore the dfsr file(s).

Basically a bare metal Ad recovery.

Now I have built up a machine with ready to restore AD , but when i restore the system state the machine will not boot even in safe mode, i imagine this is due to drivers and what not.

How can you restore AD to another machine thats got different hardware.

Message Edited by Andrew Styler on 08-06-200708:35 PM

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew_Styler
Level 4
Can anyone help, please. I am completly screwed over if i can't restore DFSR backups that have differing DFSR configs.

Such a limitation and nothing listed on Symantecs website. I did find this

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284214.htm my DFSR config is exactly the same but has been recreated so i imagine in AD the GUIDS for the config have changed and no longer matches whats on tape when it tries to use the DFSR writer to restore the files.

They suggest
Solution:
To resolve this issue, restore the Shadow Copy Components by performing the following steps:
I. Restore the DFSR configuration via an Active Directory restore
II. Restore the DFSR replicated data

How can I do this to different hardware ?

Has anyone seen anyone from symantec posted into here this week ? is india on holiday

Still no Symantec presence in this forum, is this no longer a avenue for speaking with Symantec ?

Someone else has come across this limitation and worked around it without having to purchase a box with similar HW to do these kinds of restores.

HELP

Message Edited by Andrew Styler on 08-21-200706:02 PM

Allen_K
Level 6
Hi Andrew Styler,

Sorry no one has been able to help you with your technical issue so far. Please note that this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum and not technical support.

Usually customers come to the rescue. Other times, when they are available, a Symantec employee will volunteer his/her time to find and help solve issues just like any other member of the community.

However, in this case, it looks like you might be better off contacting Symantec Support Services for 24/7 access to technical support professionals. You can also try using our Knowledge Base Search.

Hope that helps!

Andrew_Styler
Level 4
I already did contact them i paid my 49 notes and they could only point me to the article i mentioed in my previous post.

This is going to be a huge problem for me.

It looks like I will have to stop DFSR using pre commands backup the files directly and start DFSR usin the post command As the current situation is unnaceptable.

Problem with this though is if the services doesn't stop the files will not be backed up but the backup will show
success but not files in DFSR will be backed up as you need to select them from inside the user data tree.