cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore Exchange 2003

EBV
Level 3
I need to restore a backup of an information store to a recovery storage group. I have not tried to do this before, but I thought I had everything setup correctly. Hopefully someone can give me some direction. Here are my details: The backup job method is 'full' The RSG was not there when the backup ran, I did create one before attempting the restore The error that I am getting is: Final error: 0xe000ff00 - Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted or because the Recovery Storage Group is not properly configured. Use the Exchange System Manager to check the configuration of the Recovery Storage Group and the mount status of the databases. I did try to run the restore job with the live store dismounted but got the same result.
8 REPLIES 8

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Document to start off with http://support.veritas.com/docs/279866

Are you performing a redirect restore  or restoring to original location ?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278922

Was the backup taken with AOFO option selected. If so the restore would not work as it would be a snapshot backup and cannot be redirected to Recovery storage group ..refer document http://support.veritas.com/docs/275586

EBV
Level 3
I thought to get the restore to go to the RSG it was necessary to an original location retore, so I don't have it redirecting.   The RSG is on the same server.

EBV
Level 3
These are the instructions I am following for exchange 2003.  I just went through them all again, deleting and recreating the RSG. Unfortunately I got the same result, the job only runs for 8 seconds.

EBV
Level 3
The AOFO was not checked.  I remember reading about that when I set the job up originally.   It is a full backup wich is why I can't understand why it won't restore.

EBV
Level 3
Update...

I went through the backup log and found that I was using temp folder that didn't exist.  I corrected that and the restore did run and create a file, but it did not complete with the same error message. 

The file size of the recovered file does look right so I tried to mount in Exchange but got this:

Information Store (5504) Recovery Storage Group: Attempted to attach database 'd:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Recovery Storage Group\Mailbox Store (VILLAGE).edb' but it is a database restored from a backup set on which hard recovery was not started or did not complete successfully.

I guess that means I need the backup to complete.   Here is my backup log:

<filler>======================================================================</filler>
  <server>Job server: WADEPARK</server>
  <name>Job name: email restore</name>
  <start_time>Job started: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 11:21:58 AM</start_time>
  <type>Job type: Restore</type>
  <log_name>Job Log: BEX_WADEPARK_00793.xml</log_name>
  <filler>======================================================================</filler>
  </header>
- <restore>
  <title>Job Operation - Restore</title>
- <machine>
  <machine_name>village.ElizaBryantVillage.local</machine_name>
  <media_mount_date>Drive and media mount requested: 5/18/2010 11:21:58 AM</media_mount_date>
- <media_drive_and_media_info>
  <media_mount_date>Drive and media information from media mount: 5/18/2010 11:22:03 AM</media_mount_date>
  <drive_name>Drive Name: fbox</drive_name>
  <media_label>Media Label: B2D000166</media_label>
  <media_guid>Media GUID: {46e2fba3-fe99-41fb-9064-2636bf632910}</media_guid>
  <media_overwrite_date>Overwrite Protected Until: 5/28/2010 9:26:08 PM</media_overwrite_date>
  <media_append_date>Appendable Until: 12/30/9999 7:00:00 PM</media_append_date>
  </media_drive_and_media_info>
  <info>Network control connection is established between 172.16.0.31:3593 <--> 172.16.1.4:10000</info>
  <info>Network data connection is established between 172.16.0.31:3598 <--> 172.16.1.4:5992</info>
- <set>
  <set_resource_name>\\village.ElizaBryantVillage.local\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group</set_resource_name>
  <restore_target_device>Restoring data to \\village.ElizaBryantVillage.local\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group.</restore_target_device>
  <tape_name>Storage Media #1: " Media created 5/14/2010 9:00:02 PM " Backup performed on 5/14/2010 at 9:02 PM Backup set #1: " email full backup "</tape_name>
  <start_time>Restore started on 5/18/2010 at 11:22:05 AM.</start_time>
  <database />
  <media_mount_date>Drive and media mount requested: 5/18/2010 11:38:06 AM</media_mount_date>
- <media_drive_and_media_info>
  <media_mount_date>Drive and media information from media mount: 5/18/2010 11:38:29 AM</media_mount_date>
  <drive_name>Drive Name: fbox2 Volume_2</drive_name>
  <media_label>Media Label: B2D000362</media_label>
  <media_guid>Media GUID: {56f728f5-9500-44be-a912-a3efa7517c85}</media_guid>
  <media_overwrite_date>Overwrite Protected Until: 5/28/2010 9:31:36 PM</media_overwrite_date>
  <media_append_date>Appendable Until: 12/30/9999 7:00:00 PM</media_append_date>
  </media_drive_and_media_info>
  <display_contvcb>Backup set #1 on storage media #2</display_contvcb>
  <database />
- <OperationErrors Type="extended_err_abort_oper">
  <UMI>V-79-57344-65280</UMI>
  - Unable to restore the selected Microsoft Exchange database 'Public Folder Store (VILLAGE)' because it is currently mounted. Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount it, and then retry the job.
  </OperationErrors>
- <OperationErrors Type="rest_comm_failure">
  <UMI>V-79-57344-65072</UMI>
  - Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation canceled.
  </OperationErrors>
  <end_time>Restore completed on 5/18/2010 at 11:44:20 AM.</end_time>
- <summary>
  <restored_exchange_store>Restored 2 Exchange Server stores</restored_exchange_store>
  <file_skipped_stat>1 item was skipped.</file_skipped_stat>
  <new_processed_bytes>Processed 11,465,806,058 bytes in 21 minutes and 52 seconds.</new_processed_bytes>
  <vlm_hist_rateformat2>Throughput rate: 500 MB/min</vlm_hist_rateformat2>
  </summary>
  <filler>----------------------------------------------------------------------</filler>
  </set>
  </machine>
  </restore>
- <footer>
  <end_time>Job ended: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 11:44:20 AM</end_time>
  <engine_completion_status>Job completion status: Failed</engine_completion_status>
  <completeStatus>6</completeStatus>
  <errorDescription>Final error: 0xe000ff00 - Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted or because the Recovery Storage Group is not properly configured. Use the Exchange System Manager to check the configuration of the Recovery Storage Group and the mount status of the databases.</errorDescription>
  <errorCategory>Final error category: Resource Errors</errorCategory>
  <umiOriginator>79</umiOriginator>
  <justErrorCode>-536805632</justErrorCode>
  </footer>
  </joblog>

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Refer document http://support.veritas.com/docs/325542 you need to check the commit option when you run the restore

Figure 1

If the option was not selected when performing the restore of the final data set for the Store, the Information Store will not mount and will return the above mentioned error.
Solution:
1.  A hard recovery must then be performed manually using the eseutil switch .Please refer the Microsoft Document  KB 317014 (  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317014 ) or

2. Rerun the restore with the option Commit