cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to view the Microsoft Information Store option in the selection list.

KrisBDI
Level 3
Hello,

I have a problem selecting the Microsoft Information Store of the exchange server in the organisation: the option is simply not showing. The strange thing is that it does show when selecting the old exchange server (that is scheduled to be decommissioned) - this one does not hold any mailboxes anymore.

Some details:
- Exchange servers are version 6.5
- BE 11d
- Agent for Microsoft Exchange server 11d is installed and licensed. (2 occurrences)
- Platform is W2K3

I have already looked at the following sites and tried the options

I have also examined the registry of the old and the new exchange server; here I find a difference: the
HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\symantec\backup exec for Windows\backup exec\engine\exchange entry is there on the old server but not on the new one. I have tried exporting the entry from the old server and importing into the new; when reinstalling the agent the entry disappears.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Kris
9 REPLIES 9

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi Kris,

You meant Exchange 5.5, correct?  If thats the case, then Backup Exec 11d does not support Exchange 5.5.

Symantec Backup Exec 11d (11.0) for Windows Servers - Software Compatibility List (SCL)

KrisBDI
Level 3
Hello,

Sorry for my late reply, I have been travelling.

I have re-checked the version of Exchange to be sure, and both the old server as the new one are running version 6.5. So I fear this is not the problem.

Any other ideas please?

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Kris

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Kris:

Make sure that the following registry key is set to 1 on both servers, the media server and the remote server:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS\Restrict Anonymous Support

Also, on the media server go to the command prompt and type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

Then try again.

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez
Advanced Technical Support Engineer

KrisBDI
Level 3
Hello Sandra,

I have checked the values, they are correct.

However, like I said in my first post, in registry editor the ...backup exec\engine\exchange keys are not the same on the old server (where it works) and the new server. I tried again to import these keys but without any luck. It seems to be a registry error somewhere, but i'm a bit lost now...

Thanks for the help,

Kris

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Kris,

Exchange 6.5 is actually Exchange 2003.

Did you verify the remote agent was pushed to the new Exchange server?  You not you have the license, but you never mentioned actually pushing the agent.  Verify the BE Remote Agent service is running on the Exchange server.

KrisBDI
Level 3
Hello DB,

I have uninstalled and re-pushed the remote agent already several times and installed it also from the setup media. No use... The remote agent service is running and I can browse the disks of the exchange server from the media server.

Kris

KrisBDI
Level 3
Hello,

Has anybody got another idea here please?

Kris

J_Peralta
Level 4
Kris,

This could be a shot in the dark but have you made sure that the remote agent utility on the server in question is set to publish information to the backup exec server?  It's just a checkbox in the Publishing tab of the agent utility on the exchange server.  Make sure to specify the right backup exec server and verify the published name.   Also, if that box has been checked, you might want to try unchecking it on the server that is going to be de-commisioned, wait a few minutes and restart the backup exec services.  This may have no affect but I remember problems initially when that wasn't checked.

J

Message Edited by J Peralta on 07-16-200706:52 AM

KrisBDI
Level 3
Hello,

I have tried this, but unfortunately without success... Strange thing is that the information store of the old exchange server is still seen on the media server when I disable the publishing. I waited 15 minutes and restarted remote agent services and media server services.

Kris