cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 10 causing job failure

Justin_Unterrei
Level 3
I'm running Backup Exec on a Windows 2003 Server (with a mix of Windows 2000 Server and 2003 Servers with the Backup Agent).

We upgraded from 9.1 to 10, since then all the jobs come back as failed. When I try to check the job log I get a message that says "The job log for this job may not be generated." Then all the jobs are eventually put to the "On Hold" status.

I've searched this forum and have made sure my MDAC and Jet Database engine are working correctly and up to date. I've made sure all my servers are running the new v10 backup agent. I've also made sure the services are set to Automatic and are running.

The first time this happened I simply removed the "Hold Schedule" checkmark and all the jobs started at once and finished successfully. However after that they all fail and go back to "On Hold."
7 REPLIES 7

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Does this happen with jobs running on B2D or on tape? Please install the latest Veritas device drivers from the following link :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278408

Morover check for active alerts in the alerts pane of Backup Exec. Configure Backup Exec so that the alerts are automatically responded to. Please refer to the following document.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254685

Please write to us if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Justin_Unterrei
Level 3
All of our jobs as B2D. I did not download the drivers you linked because they appear to be only for Tape Drives.

The alerts page is filled with the red X icons, with all of them giving the same message:

JobNameHere -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

Do I have to set these alerts to be automatically responded to? It is nice to check these as they occur.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Yup...as Backup Exec waits for a response to such alerts, due to which sometimes jobs are put on hold or hung. A better strategy would be to configure Backup Exec so that the alerts are responded to automatically. You can use the document mentioned in the previous post.

Please update us on the status of the issue.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Justin_Unterrei
Level 3
It is not possible to set the 'Job Failed' alert category to automatically clear... the checkbox is greyed out.

Justin_Unterrei
Level 3
I think I have found the cause of the Job Failure alerts. I was taking the jobs off Hold Status two at a time and watching them run. I had almost all of the jobs completed when they started to fail again with the same error as before. I checked the Services applet in Computer Management and the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped. Upon further investigation I found the following errors in the application log:

=========================
Source: DrWatson
Event ID: 4097
Description: The application, C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 09/15/2005 @ 20:51:19.196 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 00320031 (catcommon!SQLQuery::BindCol)

Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Faulting application bengine.exe, version 10.0.5520.0, faulting module catcommon.dll, version 10.0.5520.0, fault address 0x00010031.

It looks like the service is crashing for some reason...?

Justin_Unterrei
Level 3
Any ideas??

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

The Backup Exec Job Engine service may not start because of the
MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service not started. BE Job Engine service is dependent on the MSSQl$BKUPEXEC service.

Hence if the BE Job Engine service does not start the BE Remote Agent service will not start.

Verify if "Enable automatic cancellation" is selected in the backup.

If an active media request is not responded to and the job is canceled by the user or by automatic cancellation this will cause the Backup Exec Job Engine to terminate. If the service is not set to automatically restart the following next backup will fail with "A00081d9 - The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding."
To prevent this error from occurring try the following steps:
1. Increase the cancellation time or uncheck "Enable automatic cancellation" for the backup.
2. Set the Backup Exec Job Engine Service to restart after it stops.
3. Schedule an Inventory job to run before the backup job runs.
4. Verify that you have enough media to complete the backup job.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.