cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 11.0.7170 or 11.0.6235 SP1 ?? (currently at 11.0.6235)

sage
Level 3
Greetings..

Background:

We have an existing installation of 7 Backup Exec Servers 11d.0.6235 (various hotfixes) for Windows Servers 2003 working in SSO mode sharing 1 Fibre LTO Library device, backing up various things ie, Exchange Server 2003, SQL Server and Oracle Database.
No Vista or Exchange 2007 in our environment yet, maybe 6-12 months in the future.

Question:

Do we need to upgrade to 11.0.7170 or 11.0.6235 SP1 ?

There seems no easy answer to this and rang Veritas Support but got unsatisfactory responses.

Thank you
sage
7 REPLIES 7

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Strictly speaking, if everything is working, you don't "need" to upgrade.

Much like a Windows OS service pack, it's worth proactively applying the latest updates.

The 11.0.7170 build contains the later options, and will be required should you run Exchange in future. It would be the better of the two updates.

There are also many post-install hotfixes that you should install via Liveupdate after performing your install.

sage
Level 3
Hi Joshua

Thank you for the responses.

Only 1 out of 7 server that behaving badly (the server with Exchange 2003). ie, beengine.exe keep stopping/restarting and interrupting other jobs. So I really need to either patch it using SP1 or re-install using 11.0.7170, hence the original question in the post :)

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Sage,

Whilst I can't guarantee patching will resolve the issue, yep, 11.0.7170 is the way to go here.

I believe at present there are three followup hotfixes- before to apply your upgrade, reboot, apply the hotfixes, then reboot again to ensure your server is up to date.

Then redeploy your remote agent to the server, this will serve the effect of applying the update to the remote servers.

sage
Level 3
Thanks Joshua

I appreciate your input and will consider upgrading it to 7170

Any other suggestions, perhaps from Symantec Staff regarding this ??

Regards
Sage

sage
Level 3
anyone???

sage
Level 3
anyone ???

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
If you don't need Exchange 2007 or Vista support, there's no compelling reason for installing build 7170. SP1 for uild 6235 is just a rollup of the previous hotfixes, so if you have them installed, there's no reason to upgrade.
You might like to upgrade to build 7170 just to keep abreast of the latest version, but it's up to you.