cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Backup Exec 10d (sp3) to Backup a Remote NAS Drive (ReadyNAS)

cc879846579
Level 2

Hi All

I have this problem:

I create a new backup then under the "Source > Selections" tree I navigate to "Remote Selections > Microsoft Windows Network > [MY_DOMAIN] > [NAS_UNIT_NAME]". The NAS device is grayed out, and thus not selectable. A information panel shows, informing me that they is, "No remote agent" / "No Remote Agent License" / "Use a different Login Account to connect...".

Running:-

Windows 2003 Server

Backup Exec 10d (sp3)

Nas Unit is part of the Domain (Active Driectory)

While searching through various forums many people advise installing the remote agent. However this is not an option as the NAS Unit as its not windows based. The other thing is checking you have the correct "License" installed.

This maybe where I am missing something. Here is a list of installed licenses:-

- Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Server

- Advanced Dis-based Backup Option

- Desktop and Laptop Option

- Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option

If I am missing a remote license what is it called, as there are no other serial keys on my card. Can these be purchased as an extra option.

Any ideas.

Many Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

In order for BackupExec to connect to what it sees as a ServerOS, you must have a RAWS (Remote Agent) serial instaled on the media server, even if the code cannot be installed on the remote box itself

You cannot buy a v10 RAWS from Symantec anymore, but can often find Backlevel serials on EBay or Craigslist

cc879846579
Level 2

*Ken*

Thanks for the reply, I did think this might be the case. I will have a look at finding a serial for the Remote Agent. Its a little sad that Symantec can not sell you serial codes for older products.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I've seen here on the Forums that others have purchased a current option that has  been accepted  by older versions, but have never tried it myself.

If you do decide to try this, I'd get somekind of Guarantee from Symantec that a v12 RAWS will work on v10x