cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-1003 An invalid API parameter is being used. '

Spencer_RR
Level 3

Hi all, I'm experiencing the below error and I'm not sure what to do about it. I have tried the BE Database utilities (rebuild indices, check consistency, age, etc).

I have 2 Windows servers, a 2008 machine running BE 2012 SP2 1798 and a SBS2011. After applying the windows updates at the start of the month, my backups of the SBS2011 server have been failing with the error:

Job COmpletion Status:
Job ended: Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 5:55:29 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-759

Errors:
Backup- \\MOHAWK-SBS01.mohawkmachine.com\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database 1359581058V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-1003 An invalid API parameter is being used. '

When I try to exclude the Public Folder Database from the backup, I get the error "the server has received incorrect or invalid data" when hitting OK on the edited job. This error happens no matter what changes I have made to the job. 

Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

16 REPLIES 16

Spencer_RR
Level 3

Additional information: I updated to Service Pack 3 on 1/1/14 and then I updated the remote agent on the SBS server. I then did a complete uninstall/reinstall of the agent on the SBS server as well.

I highly suspect it's something in SP3 that has messed up things, due to the dates involved.

Spencer_RR
Level 3

I did create a new job just for backing up the Exchange Store and Public Folder store and that failed as well, so that tells me that just creating a new job won't do the trick.

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

Is GRT option selected for Exchange Backups. If yes then unchek that option and run a full backup. If backup completes without error then go ahead and check back the GRT option and then try another backup with GRT selected.

Thanks

Spencer_RR
Level 3

Rahul, thanks. I did try to change that and I got the "the server has received incorrect or invalid data" error when trying to hit OK to the job changes.

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

What If you apply the changes I mentioned in the new job. Try creating new job for your Exchange database and do not check GRT option and run the job.

VJware
Level 6

On the media server, open a cmd (with administrative rights) and run the following command

fltmc

Do you see an entry for VirtFile ? If not, open the BE console and click on the yellow BE icon (at extreme top left corner), choose Installation & Licensing and then choose Install options and licenses...

Is the product license installed ? If yes, click next and ensure the agents/options corresponding to the licenses are enabled. If not, enable them and proceed ahead with the installation wizard till it completes.

Create a new backup job for Exchange and check the results.

Spencer_RR
Level 3
Vivek, below is the results of fltmc

C:\Windows\system32>fltmc

Filter Name                     Num Instances    Altitude    Frame
------------------------------  -------------  ------------  -----
VirtFile                                0       429999.280700    0
Avgmfx64                                5       325000         0
luafv                                   1       135000         0

C:\Windows\system32>

Rahul, I'm running a job without GRT now and will update with the results.

Spencer_RR
Level 3

Vivek and Rahul, I'm sorry, I thought I had replied to this one already.

The fltmc did return the VirtFile response.

I did get a completed job after creating a new job without GRT. I'm going to try one with GRT now and will update with the results.

Spencer_RR
Level 3

Rahul, it did fail with GRT enabled. Do I have any options for getting GRT working again?

VJware
Level 6

What is the destination chosen for the GRT enabled backup ? Is it tape or disk or a DeDupe storage ?

Additionally, do ensure Advanced Open File option is unchecked in the backup job properties.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there are some very conflicting remarks re. AOFO from the Symantec employees. Some advise using it, others not. Can you provide some sort of information that officially supports if you need to, or advised to, use AOFO when backing up DBs?

THanks!

VJware
Level 6

I am sorry, but what is the "conflicting" remark, as I have asked the OP not to use AOFO for DB backup.

CraigV

...you're missing the point...there have BEEN some conflicting remarks (not on this query...on the forums in the past couple of months) where some of us have always been led to believe that using AOFO with DBs isn't supported (I was told as much during a support call, hence splitting my backups and writing the article on how to do so!).

So I am curious to know what the official stance from Symantec is. Is AOFO and DB backups supported, or is AOFO to be turned off because VSS is doing this anyway...?

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

Aha, so its no related to this query per se. Its easier to PM or email me (or any other Symc employee) instead of adding to a thread with an issue as it kinda diverts the topic off.

Anyways, I presume you have looked @ these KBs -

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH65152

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH173983

We may suggest AOFO to be kept on for certain resources based on known issues (public or private), even when they are not needed. For egs, AOFO is not needed for VMware backups, but there was an issue which required it to be kept ON as it was causing backup failures. Additionally, i think the query should be "is AOFO and DB backups recommended (instead of supported) or not". I would say, not recommended, but for troubleshooting or based on a known issue, it may be suggested to keep it ON instead.

CraigV

OK, thanks...this is an awesome explanation! I actually hadn't seen these, and have bookmarked them! yes

Thanks!

Spencer_RR
Level 3

"What is the destination chosen for the GRT enabled backup ? Is it tape or disk or a DeDupe storage ?

Additionally, do ensure Advanced Open File option is unchecked in the backup job properties."

Vivek, we do have disk and tape destinations. The job I've been working on is backup to disk. The SBS backups to tape with granular recovery started working after the backup to disk completed a full backup. At this time, the backup to disk is not granular.

I know it's a bit confusing, so I hope I was clear.