cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare Server 2 hosted Exchange Server - Which Agents?

JasonIsh
Level 0

Hi,

I've joined a new company and one of the branch offices has a server running Windows Server 2003 R2 with VMWare Server 2.0 running on top. Among the 4 guests running on the server, one is an Exchange 2003 Server. They were running on Arcserve until my arrival, but are now running a trial of BE 2010 R3.  This is coming towards the end of its trial period and I need to purchase the full license.

My question is, do I buy the VMWare agent, the Exchange agent or do I have to buy both? Or do I do what I'm doing now (backing up each guest as a remote server with the remote agent and the Exchange agent). The VMWare agent seems to suggest that I don't need to do any server level backups. My confusion comes from the fact that if the guest is backed up with the VMWare agent, how would I recover e-mails from the Exchange databases?

Anyone who has any guidance on these issues would be doing me a real favour - wish Symantec had a pre-sales technical advice line in the UK, but I can't find one!

Cheers

1 REPLY 1

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Vmware Server cannot use the BE Vmware Agent. So you will have to use traditional agents.

You will need one remote agent for each server, and for Exchange servers an BE Exchange agent, but the Exchange agent includes one remote agent.