cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Errors troubleshooting

RushedMan
Level 2

First, my environment - a small office with a file server and an Exchange server, both are 2008 Servers. I'm running BE 2010. Using a Qnap NAS device (4 drives in a RAID 6 setup,  connected via iSCSI) to try to get D2D2T backups. I have a small Quantum autochanger with LTO4 tapes. This ensemble used to work just fine up until just after the beginning of the year.

Currently I have the backup jobs broken down into an Exchange backup that runs first to disk, then dupes to tape, followed by the file server. The first backup errors are 0xe000fed1 - failure querying the Writer status. As a result of that, I tried setting the VSS writer to restart itself if it failed. Most of the other cures (including the long list of dll's to re-register) seem to be only for Server 2003.

After the Exchange backups fail, I get VSS errors backing up the file server as well, but those are different codes - 0x80042306, which says that the snapshot failed.

As a part of this troubleshooting, I did find that my Exchange mail database had gotten fragmented enough that it wasn't completing the auto defrag, so over the weekend I moved all my users to a new mail database, and that fixed that problem. But I'm still getting the VSS errors. I've removed the old database from the backup list and added the new one - backups still fail, same errors.

The only thing I can think of - and I'm not sure why this is happening - is that the Qnap device reports itself as full. BE is set to overwrite the media on that device after just a couple of weeks, but the device still squeals, although it seems to be overwriting when it's doing the half-backups that it fails on. There's nothing in the logs that I've seen that says anything about problems overwriting the old media being an issue, but the server complains that there's a disk error on the Qnap device, even though Qnap doesn't see anything wrong with it. So I was wondering if perhaps there -is- a bad disk, but any test I try running on the Qnap device says the disks are fine. I'm wondering if I might have a problem that's causing a cascading series of issues, but I can't pin down what the real source is, and I'm in need of another idea.

For the moment, with no useful backups on the Qnap device, I'm going to try wiping the (by now, kinda useless) data on there to at least see if I can get rid of the 'disk full' errors. Perhaps there's some error I'm not seeing from that, that's making VSS freak out. I think it's not the core issue, but it's something to pursue until I can get a better idea of what's going wrong with the VSS writers.

Help!

10 REPLIES 10

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Try manually enabling AOFO -select sytem -microsoft voulme shadow copy provider

(Be might be trying to use another snapshot provider other then VSS)

Make sure you have enough free space on drives

Try:How to Re-register Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Components on Windows 2008/Windows 2003.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70486

What error message do you see in win event viewer?

RushedMan
Level 2

Exchange 2007.

AOFO is also set to pick MS VSS, not whatever it might try. Drives do have enough space, outside of that overwrite error for the Qnap media.

I have a couple of errors from the application log on the file server:

Event 513: CAPI2 - Cryptographic services failed while processing the OnIdentity () call in the system write object. Details: AddCoreCsiFiles: BeginFileEnumeration ()failed.

Event 12290, VSS- Volume Shadow Copy Service error, Unexpected error DeviceIOControl

(That one is a new error...)

Event 33808 - Backup Exec - error occurred while processing a B2D command. Drive:Write SFMB() WriteFile failed (points to a .bkf file on the Qnap device)

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Do you see Exchange writer as failed after running cmd :   vssadmin list writer

Have you updated to BE 2010 R2 or r3?

Check event viewer for exch DB maintenence task -does it complete successfully?

RushedMan
Level 2

I have not updated to a newer version. I inherited this software and haven't been able yet to find out what I need to do here to get the $$ for the upgrade (assuming there is a cost associated with that, I've not looked at all at this.)

Looking on the Exchange server, that writer thinks it's stable. And the DB maintenance on the mail server mailboxes is -now- finishing just fine.

Lesta_G
Level 6

Upgrade from 2010 to 2010 R3 is free!

I would suggest you upgrade to it.

Most of the other cures (including the long list of dll's to re-register) seem to be only for Server 2003

Assuming you mean this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184

This also works on 2008, But I do it manually . Aslo if using 64 bit some of the DLLs to re-register are in WOW folder (or similar)

If using a SEP client for AV. it needs to be uninstalled before following the instructions (it interferes with the com+ service)

what does VSSAdmin List providers show? more than one provider?

Re the disk full issues. Your media management should be set to "use recycled media first, then scratch media"

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You've got a Symantec employee informing you to enable AOFO during a DB backup job which Symantec tell you not too! no It's only going to cause further issues, or simply not help at all.

Reregistering the VSS *.dlls is a good way to go.

Thanks!

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Craig When Symantec tell to enable or disable AOFO, there are reasons for it....

We don use AOFO for older db's like exch 2003 etc  for their limitations

Anything above win 2008 onwards uses VSS by default..

I have asked him to enable AOFO and select VSS  becuase it should be using it anyways in this case,
and their could be another provider conflicting with it.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...VSS is used with Windows Server 2003 and above actually...wink

Whenever I have logged a call with Exchange 2003, the first question asked by support has been: Are you running Advanced Open File Option with your Exchange backups, and if so, turn it off.

I've read a couple of TNs (below is 1 example) where they recommend ONLY using AOFO when you don't have an agent installed...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH83288

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

".VSS is used with Windows Server 2003 and above actually...wink "

-Yes but with limitations

For eg: You cannnot re-direct restore EXch 2003 VSS snapshot backup to RSG

Which is a major drawback and then we say dont use AOFO with exch 2003

Hope I am clear..if you have more doubt feel free to send PM

RushedMan
Level 2

I'll try to respond to all of the very helpful comments in this, so I don't miss anything and present a full picture. I wasn't in the office yesterday to respond to this thread but I really appreciate any ideas.

The link for the MS KB solution was what I'd tried, although I was missing some of the earlier entries. I will be trying the full blown list tonight - although I had had a failure the first time I tried this, at the step for:

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll

as this failed, and so did a couple of other things following it. With any luck, those items at the start of the process were the issues.

Since I posted last here, I reformatted my NAS hard drives and started over there. Tuesday night I was able to get a backup to run fine from both the file and mail servers, but when I tried to run a full backup, as one job, to a tape, it ran, verified, and failed at the end of the process with the original error. As of today, I can get differentials of the file server to run, but even with AOFO turned off, the mail server backups still end with that error.

I do need to fix this ASAP as it's causing my boss heartburn (not that I have any stress from failed backups at all, ha) and I'm VERY grateful for any further steps. I will be trying the full blown list to re-register the DLL's after a server reboot in a couple of hours.