Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Easy Question for a Newbster

systematic92
Level 5

Can someone explain this to me:

Read single block mode
Select this check box to have this device read only one block of data at a time. If this check box is selected, the device will read a single block of data at a time, regardless of the size of the buffer block. Symantec recommends selecting this option if the device is a shared storage device.

Write single block mode
Select this check box to have this device write only one block of data at a time. Selecting this check box provides greater control over the handling of data write errors. Symantec recommends selecting this option if the device is a shared storage device.

I have 1 robot that has 4 drives. 3 drives are assigned to one device pool and 1 drive to another.

One device pool (FILERS-A) is configured to backup data  (CIFS shares) from 2 netapp controllers that store most of the data for many servers.

The other device pool (FILERS-B) is configured to backup data (UNIX shares) from a seperate pair of netapp controllers. that store most of the data for a Oracle Server.

So in the above case, do I need to enable read and write single block mode at the tape level?

Just a little confused about what it means when it says "if the device is a shared storage device"....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello systematic please have a look at the article below

this option are used for the destination and not source, i.e it means if your robotic library is shared with multiple backup exec servers.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH91959

Read single block mode

Select this check box to have this device read only one block of data at a time. If this check box is selected, the drive will read a single block of data at a time, regardless of the size of the buffer block.

Write single block mode
Select this check box to have this device write only one block of data at a time. Selecting this check box provides greater control over the handling of data write errors.

please mark this as solution if this answers your question

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello systematic please have a look at the article below

this option are used for the destination and not source, i.e it means if your robotic library is shared with multiple backup exec servers.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH91959

Read single block mode

Select this check box to have this device read only one block of data at a time. If this check box is selected, the drive will read a single block of data at a time, regardless of the size of the buffer block.

Write single block mode
Select this check box to have this device write only one block of data at a time. Selecting this check box provides greater control over the handling of data write errors.

please mark this as solution if this answers your question

lmosla
Level 6

Also take a look at this link for more informatio regarding Shared Storage http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO51832  

Hope this answers your questions?

systematic92
Level 5

Where in Backup Exec do I see if I have:

Backup Exec Central Admin Server Option (CASO) or the SAN Shared Storage Option (SSO), media servers can share storage

I dont think I have any of the above installed. We only have one server and in instance of BEXEC and we are backing up NDMP storage.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

hello systematic it doesnot apply to your environment however Imolsa gave that technote so as you know what envionments you can have shared devices in.

as you do not have this option would suggest you to let it be on default settings.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

These options dont apply in your situation as it is a Standalone installation. These are more often used when the Tape drive / Tape Library is share between more than 1 Media Server.