cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume Shadow Copy question

Dale_Allingham
Level 3
Have client who we installed BE 10d on but he has a concern I am unable to answer. Here it is:

There is a question I have regarding the different backup types and how they affect the behavior of 'Shadow copies' which we currently have activated on our windows 2003 servers 'Server1' and 'Server2'. I would prefer to continue to have this mechanism working as it has proved invaluable on several occasions. It seems that a particular type of backup, and I am not sure which, causes the 'Shadow copies' to be removed on backup. I suspect it is probably something to do with the archive bit being reset.
So as soon as that question is answered we can start backing up those areas on our in-house servers

Has anyone run into this? It sounds like he is saying that the Shadow Copy disappears.
7 REPLIES 7

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
I do use the shadow copies as well as BE back ups and they work together very well. I have not encountered any problems up to now.

I do make daily my incemental backups.

greetings
Peter

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Refer the document for further Info :

What is the intended use of the Open File Option and the Advanced Open File Option?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/263784

Admin guide

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269777.htm

Understanding Backup Methods and Their Advantages
Page number : 333

revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Dale_Allingham
Level 3
I could not find the answer to the specific question about if a shadow copy that exists on the server is somehow deleted if using a full backup. I know BE can use Shadow Copies to do the backup. But does it somehow delete the Shadow Copy when it is done. Does BE create a new Shadow Copy when it runs the backup or does it use an existing copy and incorporate the deltas? Thanks

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Does that mean shadow copy was deleted accidently?

Please elaborate this point to further troubleshoot the issue.

Thank you,

Dale_Allingham
Level 3
From how I understand the question put to me was does BE or can BE accidentally delete the volume shadow copy file. They don't have AOFO installed. I have not run into this question before and have not seen Volume Shadow Copy disappear and not be able to be used. But the IT manager claims that is has happened or knows someone who it happened to. Wish I could be more specific but I don't have first hand knowledge and am trying to satisfy the IT manager.
Thanks

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

No Backup exec doesn not delete the volume shadow copy file..

Thank You,

Shweta

Dale_Allingham
Level 3
Thank you!