cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekday, Bi-Weekly Backup Schedule to B2D

svc007
Level 3

I have a weekly rotation of two external USB hard drives. The first hard drive is for one week and has a removable backup to disk folder assigned as a drive letter for example X:.  The second hard drive is for the second week and has a removable backup to disk folder assigned as a drive letter for example Y:.

For my Saturday full backup, I have two different jobs.  The first job targets removable B2D folder on X: and is scheduled with a Day Interval of 14 days so it runs on the 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc. Saturdays.  The second job targets removable B2D folder on Y: and is also scheduled with a Day Interval of 14 days but with an effective date 7 days earlier so it runs the 2nd, 4th, 6th, etc. Saturdays.  So far this automatic schedule has worked well.

Now I want to create a new job or jobs to backup additional data Monday through Friday to these same two removable B2D folders but I don't know how to schedule them so that it requires no maintenance of the schedule.  The Day Interval recurrence works well for the previous weekly backup and requires no adjustments.  Using Recurring Week Days doesn't work as far as I can tell because it selects every Monday through Friday.  I want Monday to Friday of week 1, 3, 5, etc. to go to X:; and Monday to Friday of week 2, 4, 6, etc. to go to Y:.  What's the best approach?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I didn't selected the last week before grabing the screen. That's why 29-31 are not selected. Just an example.

If you create two jobs with altenate weeks selected let us say one job with 1st 3rd and last week and the other with 2nd and 4th week selected all the days in month will be selected. If this ok with you no issues. Because many months first week will start from days other than monday.

If you want daily backups schedule exactly like your weekly backups, you may need to create many jobs. Nearly two jobs for a weekday just like your weekend job. Not at all a best practise.

Regards........

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can select recurring week days option and choose 1st 3rd and 5th week with one job and 2nd 4th and 6th with the other. 

See the screenshot attached.

Regards...

svc007
Level 3

Thanks Kiran but I don't see the 6th week.  I see 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Last but can't see how this would work for an every other week scenario.  Your screen shot shows that you have nothing scheduled for Aug. 29th through 31st but you should.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I didn't selected the last week before grabing the screen. That's why 29-31 are not selected. Just an example.

If you create two jobs with altenate weeks selected let us say one job with 1st 3rd and last week and the other with 2nd and 4th week selected all the days in month will be selected. If this ok with you no issues. Because many months first week will start from days other than monday.

If you want daily backups schedule exactly like your weekly backups, you may need to create many jobs. Nearly two jobs for a weekday just like your weekend job. Not at all a best practise.

Regards........

svc007
Level 3

That makes sense.  Two jobs with the Recurring Weeks is the best solution.

Thanks for your help.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Removable B2D folders are meant for devices like Jaz drives, RDX, etc.  You should be using normal B2D folders for your USB disks.