cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the schedule information for each job stored?

Gregg
Level 3
I am trying to determine where the schedule information for each job is stored. I have not been able to find anything in the database tables. If someone can point me to the table/fields or other location this would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------------------------

Why do I need this? Our main Veritas person is out on extended leave and people are asking for new jobs to be added. Our two backup servers each have 2-drive tape libraries, so technically each server can handle 2 simultaneous backups. With 50+ jobs defined on each server, it is taking me forever to try to manually construct a visual timeline of the backup schedule to spot openings.

So, if someone knows of a way for me to accomplish that without needing access to the raw information in the tables, that would be great. Otherwise, I'd like to query the data out of the tables and build it myself.

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
On the job monitor tab, make sure that the filter is set to show Scheduled Jobs as well as Active Jobs

Gregg
Level 3
Thanks, Ken. Show Scheduled Jobs is selected, but that does not help with my problem. If you read my original post, hopefully you will understand.

I am trying to find open slots in my backup schedule. The BE interface does not seem to give me a clear representation of my overall job schedules, so I need to create my own visual view. Manually collecting the information for each job from the interface is taking forever, so I want to automate the process.

So, I am trying to find the schedule information for the jobs (day(s) and time) in the SQL tables. So far, I have been unable to find the information. Does anyone know what field(s) in which table(s) stores the schedule information for the jobs?

Thanks,
Gregg

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
Kindly select the Job setup tab and select individual Job name and right click the same and select Properties. Doing so, you will come across Schedule under "Frequency" within Backup Job properties. Here you may click the tab "View Schedule Summary". This would give you details about the information that you are looking for.

We hope this helps.

Gregg
Level 3
Thanks, Ameet. As I mentioned in my initial post "it is taking me forever to try to manually construct a visual timeline of the backup schedule to spot openings." Manually constructing the timeline includes opening each job one at a time and looking at the properties of each job, recording it, then looking at the properties of each backup history to determine how long the jobs are taking (on average). With over 100 jobs, it is taking TOO long to do that manually.

All of this information should be available in the underlying SQL tables. If I just find out WHERE the schedule information is stored in the database, I can query it and automatically display the schedule.

The only reason I am even considering doing this is because the product does not seem to already provide this.

Gregg
Level 3
*BUMP*

If anyone knows what fields in which tables in the BEDB database contains the scheduled days and time for scheduled jobs, I would most greatful for the information.

I have created a query to extract job history data to Excel which really makes it easier to spot potential openings for jobs, but I would still like to see the scheduled job information.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

It is not recommended to query the Backup Exec database directly.
However as you mentioned that opening the schedule summary takes time, you may try performing database maintenance and verify the results. Please refer the following technote for the same.

Title:
Changing the schedule timing for the database maintenance task in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/260639

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Gregg
Level 3
Hi Amruta,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure why querying the database is not recommended, since querying the tables does not alter any data.

I mentioned that opening one hundred individual schedule summaries to collect the information will take a long time. Performing database maintenance will not help with that. I do not have a problem with how responsive the client is accessing the information. My problem is with how many times I have to repeat that process manually.

I finally found out during a meeting with some Veritas folks why I could not find the schedule information in the database. It appears that that information is kept in separate data files and not in the database.

I have not confirmed this, so if anyone knows for sure, I would appreciate it.

Message was edited by:
GreggMessage was edited by:
Gregg

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In v7 and v8 it was in a file called schedule7.dat IIRC (and job defs wer kept in jobs7.dat). I don't have access to a v9 machine right now, so can't check one of them

Finally got to a v9 machine.
It's not schedule7 and I can't figure out which one it is. i created a new job, scheduled it, and none of the files in the ..\NT directory were updated.

Are you sure it's not in the MSDE database?Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I would like to mention here that in Backup Exec version 9.x the information related to the scheduled jobs is maintained in the Backup Exec database and does not resident in any separate file.

Hope it clarifies your doubt.

Regards.

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Gregg
Level 3
Hello Ajit,

My original question was asking WHERE in the database the schedule information resides. If you know the information is maintained in the database, would you please share with me WHERE so I can consider my question answered and get on with that project?

My doubt would certainly be clarified if I knew WHERE in the database the schedule info is stored.

If, for some reason, you can't or don't want to provide the details in the forum, please email them to me at kursplat@comcast.net.

Thanks,
Gregg

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

VERITAS strongly recommends to not change anything manually in the BEDB instance.

Manually changing BEDB might lead to unpredictable results.
if must, then you can open the MSDE instance with SQL Enterprise Manager

Thanks,
NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the answered threads pool.

Gregg
Level 3
Thank you for the reply, tejashree.

Before I vent, please note that all I want is this:

I would like to know the names of the table(s) and field(s) in the BEDB database of Version 9 (and 10 if they differ) that contain the schedule information for backup jobs. I need to be able to READ them with a SELECT query in order to report on them in a way that is not available in the Backup Exec client.

If you know the answer, kindly reply with the information and don't bother reading the rest. Thank you in advance for the information. It is greatly appreciated.

Now, time to vent. Don't bother reading any further unless you are really bored. Please excuse me while I vent my frustrations:

I'm really beginning to think that people are replying without reading (or maybe understanding) the posts.

I don't know how many times I have to say this:

I want to READ (as in ONLY READ, NOT MODIFY, NOT CHANGE, ONLY LOOK AT) the schedule information for jobs that is supposedly stored in the BEDB. I will use a SELECT query, NOT an UPDATE or DELETE query. I will ONLY BE READING THE DATA, NOT MAKING CHANGES.

I am not having performance problems. I do not need to do any maintenance. I simply do not want to have to spend large amounts of time manually looking at over 100 jobs in the client to extract all the schedule information. It is too time consuming and I want to create an automated process that can be repeated. READING (again, NOT UPDATING) that information from the database with a SELECT query will allow me to do that. I just need to know WHAT TABLE/FIELD(S) contain the job schedule information (SO I CAN READ IT AND NOT UPDATE IT).

I don't need to know where to find the info the client. I know where it is in the client. That is why I know how tedious it is to go there for each and every one of our over-100 jobs. I need to know where the information is in the database. So I can READ it, NOT UPDATE IT.

I totally understand and agree with Veritas recommendation to not change anything manually in the database. But I have never once said in this thread that I was trying to update the database. In fact, I have explicitly said I only want to READ the data to report on the scheduling.

I have a simple question: where is the job information stored in the BEDB database. Please don't try to solve a problem that isn't there. Please don't warn me about something I'm not even trying to do.

Please..... just read and comprehend this one question and reply if you know the answer:

What table(s) and field(s) in the Backup Exec v9 and v10 BEDB databases contain the schedule information for jobs?

That's it. That's the question. That's all that matters. Its a simple question that hopefully has a simple answer.

And it case it wasn't obvious enough, I only plan on reading those table/fields; I WILL NOT BE UPDATING THEM.

I don't know, maybe I gave too much background information and everyone was just focusing on small pieces of the background information, ignoring the base question, and going off on tangents.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

As per the Veritas policy we wouldnt be able to give out the database information.

Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the answered threads pool.

Gregg
Level 3
Thanks tejashree.

Obviously, that was not the answer I was looking for. But at least now I have an answer.

I guess I will have to pursue this through other avenues.

At least an answer of "we can't tell you" is better then no answer at all.

Thanks again, tejashree.