cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which version of Backup exec?

l310564
Level 2
Hello, I've got my self really confused about which version of backup exec i need and i'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have two servers; one windows 2003 file server and one Windows 2000 (not SBS) server which is the domain controler and runs SQL server 2000. The tape dirve will be connected to the windows 2000 server.

I think i need Backup exec remote agent for windows server to backup the windows 2003 server but I'm lost as to what i need to backup the whole of the windows 2000 sever including the  Active directory and SQL server.

Thanks ,

Hugh
5 REPLIES 5

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
What you need is one license for Backup Exec (not the SBS version), and if you want to backup SQL the easy way, one SQL Agent license. The SQL Agent license includes a Remote Agent license, which you use for the Windows 2003 server. (You can "carry over" the Remote Agent license as the SQL license will be used on your media server)

l310564
Level 2
Thanks Hywel for the quick response.

Just to double check. I'm buying Symantec Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers and Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SQL Server.

I'm then going to install Symantec Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers on to the windows 2000 server that has SQL server and spilt the  Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SQL Server. so the remote agent licence backs up the windows 2003 server and sql part backs up the microsoft sql server on the windows 2000 server?

Is it just me or do they make this particularly complicated?

Hugh

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Yes, buy those two, then install BE on the media server, and add the license key to it. Then deploy the remote agent to your other server.

l310564
Level 2
Even if the tape dirve i'm backing up to is attached to the SQL server?

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Yes. :)